What should I look for in a manual zoom portrait lens

cory_phillips

This is one of the few instances where I would say don't buy a zoom. Portraits often look best shot at wide apertures (f2.8 or larger). Zooms with apertures this large are big, heavy and expensive. Primes like the 85/1.8, 105/2.5 or 135/2.8, depending on the focal length you feel most comfortable with, would probably be better choices. The 105/2.5 is the best of the bunch for portrait work.

The only zoom I own is the late model, 12 element, Nikkor AI 80-200/4.5. Its a fine performer but its minimum focus of 6' is somewhat limiting for tight shots on the 80mm end. Of course you can zoom out to 200mm to get a very tight shot but there is a perspective change that you need to aware of as a portrait photographer. Great all around lens though for what I paid. $100 off ebay, needs to get the focus/zoom action tightened by my repairman but haven't done it yet ($50).

Sharper, faster and with more pleasing out of focus highlights is my AI 105/2.5. Many consider this and the old non-AI 85/1.8 the best manual focus portrait lenses ever made by Nikon.

Hi. If you want to do various family type shots and already have a 50mm then a good 80-200 zoom is a useful lens.

On the other hand, if you want to do real "portraits" then a zoom is not the answer. Better to get a 80, 100 or 135mm prime - ideally a Nikon. This will produce really great portraits as opposed to the fuzzy stuff you may get out of a 3rd party zoom :-)

Go with an 85mm or 105mm prime lens. There are ways to make an extremely sharp lens a bit softer, but no way to make a less than sharp zoom lens sharper. Zooms are handy for sports and travel where light weight and convenience are paramount. For top quality they're never "quite there".

A great Manual Zoom portrait lens (inexpensive as well) is the Nikon Series E 75mm-150mm f3.5 lens. Since this lens is only available on the "used" market, they are very cheap. Try to find one with the metal ring (newest model) and one that does not have "zoom creep". Fantastic images!