Experience with Velbon MAXi343E tripod anyone ???

andr__fisahn

Hi evreybody,

I've been searching for a very light tripod for my extended hiking trips and decided

that I wasn't prepared to cough up the dosh for one of the smaller carbon Gitzo's.

Then I came across some reports on the Velbon MAXi343E. It seems like the ticket for

my Canon EOS Elan II (EOS 50) with a Canon 20mm/f2.8 or Canon 100mm/f2.8 macro

as the heaviest lenses on the trips. If anybody has any experience with this tripod

please speak up. Especially I would be interested in the quality/capability of the

included ball head (how does it hold up over time; is it detacheable from the legs).

Also, how low would I get the tripod if I would saw off most of the center column?

Cheers,

André

The MAXi343E is very lightweight and fairly rigid, and I like the (removable)

ballhead, but only with light loads. Your equipment should be OK. Forget low

down to the ground, the leg spread is limited and if you collapse all the leg

segments the stance will be too narrow to be stable.

I consider it too flimsy for much past a rangefinder. Don't own one (wouldn't spend that mcuh on something like that) but have seen one in the store. You'd be MUCH better off with a new/used Bogen 3001. Used, in good condition, with a basic ball head will cost the same as a new Velbon. The Bogen will last until you're ready for a better one.

I examined it and the Slik Snapman in a store last year. Both seemed perfectly competent ultralight tripods, given their limitations.

If I had one and needed to use it fully extended I'd use it like a monopod, to steady the camera while holding onto it to depress the shutter release. I suspect this would dampen vibration more than using a cable release or self timer to trip the shutter.

The next best step up would be the Slik 300DX in preference to the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001. I own both. The Slik lives up to its name - it's slicker, smoother operating, more rigid, a bit taller, has better rubber feet, just a little better in every way.

The smallish leg clamp thumbscrews on the 3001 require more effort to lock securely and unlock. The legs are less rigid fully extended, especially at wider angle spreads.

The 300DX also comes with a very competent tilt/pan head, tho' mine is fitted with a Velbon magnesium PH273 ballhead.

Initially, I looked at the 343E tripod, but I held off buying. I now have the Velbon 347GB, which I will be taking with me this weekend to the Rockies in Alberta (flying from Nova Scotia). The folded and extended lenghts are identical. While the 343E uses a ball head, the 347GB uses a 4 way panhead. The given weight is 1.2kg for the 347GB and 0.86kg for the 343E.

I thought the 347GB was a little more stable in use. Also, one thing I really liked about it was the geared centre column. For most photo shots, I will keep the tripod as low as possible for improved stability.

Well thanks for all the responses so far. Just to clarify: I need a really light tripod for

extended travels on foot, i.e. something that I will strap to my back pack instead of

leaving it at home! This is not going to be the tripod I will use around town or on

shorter trips were weight is not that much of an issue. I would definitely sacrifice

heigth for weight and stability on the travel pod. Has anybody tried the Velbon Chaser

EFL-4 ?

Thanks so far,

André

<P>I use the MAXi343 for hiking and backpacking and recommend it. It's the lightest decent tripod around. With only one leg section extended, it's short but reasonably solid. At full extension it's flimsy, but still useful for some applications. I use it with my N80, comparable in weight to your EOS. I like the ball head- it's well made and locks solidly. I don't know if it's removable. The legs can't spread wide, so there would be no advantage to shortening the center column (other than small weight savings). </P>

<P>Have you seen Robert Segal's survey of light tripods? It's at:<BR>

<A HREF="http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2gkrc/Tripod-Test.html">http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2gkrc/Tripod-Test.html</A>

</P>

I have both the Velbon Maxi 343e and the Velbon EFL-4. I use them with a Mamiya 7II/65mm lens. The EFL-4 is the house, car and short walk tripod. The Maxi is for hiking and backpacking. The EFL-4 is, in my opinion, one of the best tripod bargains to be had. It's weighs slightly over three pounds, has individual leg spread, and is well made and solid. It's also about $80 from B&H. I've owned at least four Bogens and six or seven Gitzos, including a 1325 carbon fiber model. I know tripods. The EFL-4 is my current user. I highly recommend it.

The Maxi 343e is useable, but limited. My biggest complaint is the lack of individual leg spread. (And I can't figure out how to take it apart in order to modify it.) For the price, and for backpacking, its tough to beat it, though. It's weighs a mere two pounds!

For the price of these to Velbon tripods, buy them both. Use the EFL-4 when you can. Use the Maxi when you must.

I also have the Velbon PH-253 magnesium ballhaed at only 5.6 oz. I switch it between the two tripods depending on which I am using. I also installed an Ideesign QR system on the ballhead (but that adds another 4 oz.) Sure is nice, though.

The ballhead that comes with the Maxi 343e is marginal for my particular equipment.

Scott

scott-ridgeway.com

• 4 months later...
I have recently purchased the Velbon MAXi 343E to use with both my digital Canon Powershot s40 and SLR Canon Elan IIe. I use the EF 28-105mm and the Tamron 70-300mm lens with my Elan IIe. Although I have not used it for long, my experience with it so far is very good. I use it for long night time exposures (30 secs and more), as well as landscape photography. The results from my pictures are impressive, not one image has turned out blurry. The Velbon doesn't weigh much, only 2 lbs. Its quite sturdy, although I usually hold down the center column for insurance in long exposures. The finish and quality of the material is quite good. I find setting up and using the MAXi 343E a snap. The legs extend to a decent height of around 5 feet without center column raised. As for the ball head, I find it very easy to use. The ball head is sturdy and holds my Elan IIe with the 70-300mm lens tight without any slippage. The tripod collapses to a length of 18 inches, and I was quite delighted to note that it can fit into my backpack. I happily carry this tripod wherever I go, since it doesn't take up much space and is so light. For the price of this tripod, I don't think you can go wrong buying it. I highly recommend this lightweight tripod, for the short period I have been using it. Just don't expect this tripod to perform like a much heavier tripod, since for its purpose as a lightweight travel tripod it excels.