PHOTONET HERO ????

You could try clicking on the icon to see what happens.

And yes, there are other classifications with icons higher than the two you mentioned. However, special software is needed to see those. If you are judged qualifed for that software you will be notified.

These are some of the "hidden" icons that the special software lets you see (you get the software once you are a patron - so please sign up to improve your user experience):

<ul>

<li><b>The Moron</b> - this is given to people that consistently amaze us in their stupidity. We are shocked that these people are able to remember to breathe.

<li><b>Mack Daddy</b> - given to those that promote an elevated standard and don't reduce themselves to being gearheads. I think there is only one such person on this site - and certainly nobody that frequents the leica forum would qualify.

<li><b>Pimp Master</b> - this is the highest honor bestowed on people that have devoted substantial amounts of their time and money to make photo.net possible - people like Philip Greenspun and other photo.net "super" heros.

</ul>

There are other, even more important, ones but you need to be a patron to find out what they are.

Hmm, I thought it was called the "Atlas Shrugged" icon? Oh well.

This icon really means the person likely spends too much time

an the Internet. There are a few valued contributors with the AS

icon, but most are no different than the average photo.net

contributor. The key to avoiding the AS icon is to change your

e-mail address once in a while without updating your profile ;-)

I guess some peole want to donate but don't want to earn any icon? More important, can we treat all the people the same? Please do not intimidate those people to use photo.net but cannot afford the donation (patron fee).

Kenny, if you use leicas (i'm assuming that's why you are lurking on this forum) you can afford to support photo.net... you are choosing not to. $25 a year is one trip out for a normal sit down dinner for two, without alcohol, PER YEAR - almost everybody with a computer and internet access is able to afford this. I'm not going to stop encouraging people to support photo.net (either by my posts or via having the icon)... i want people like you and others to feel like they are freeloading (which they/you are). Its not like anybody is holding a gun to your head, but it doesn't mane we can encourage support. You've been around since 1997, are you telling me you haven't gotten $25 worth of "free services" here at photo.net in all that time?

Kenny, i looked at your other postings. you said you drive a <i> '01 Passat (V6, 4motion, Tiptronic)</i> and you seem to have 4 M lenses, either you have huge amounts of debt and horrible financial skills, or you are lying, or you can afford the $25. i can accept that you "don't want to pay" but don't tell me somebody is intimidating you evnen though you can't afford it (unless of course you are already living way beyond your means).

As i said <i> i can accept that you "don't want to pay" </i> - i'm just saying that we shouldn't hide behind false justfications. All i ask for is the truth - but as a great movie once said "the truth, the truth, you can't handle the truth."

Kenny, there are any number of reasons why somebody wouldn't want to come up with $25.00 for photo.net. You don't have to say you can't afford it just because you don't like it enough. And, I think there are people visiting photo.net a lot, and getting a lot of value out of it, who can't afford $25.00. Kids who are using their father's camera and retired folks still going strong with their battered and beloved old cameras come to mind.

But anybody who is currently affording to buy new cameras, lenses, enlargers, computers, flashes, studio lighting, tripods, camera bags, microdrives, software, ink-jet printers, workshops, magazines, books, etc, or who is burning through 10 or 20 rolls of film per year can afford the lousy $25.00 for a subscription to photo.net. It is just a question of priorities.

One of the mistakes I think we've made in the past is that we have been so afraid of seeming pushy we haven't even bothered ASKING people who DO benefit greatly from the site to support it. We need to start doing it a few times per year, and we are going to. People who genuinely cannot afford it, or don't visit that often, or who have no good reason to contribute, won't be intimidated by this, nor should they feel guilty.

If those people are feeling intimidated, that isn't the intention, but I'm not going to stop asking just because a few over-sensitive people feel that way.

If you feel guilty and intimidated by the appeal for support, there is the possibility that your conscience is telling you something. Trying to get us to stop asking isn't going to work, I'm afraid. Your other option is to contribute. Or you can just keep using the site and live with the feeling of intimidation and guilt whenever we ask for support.

Except the students and retired folks with their battered old

Leicas, I think it is ironic that on this specific site people are

ducking the issue of support. I see excuses, then a WTB post for

some pricey item.

I also do not get the impression the folks that run photo.net are

driving a fleet of Rolls Royces like the Bagwan did. Yet, they

provide a world wide gathering place that is a valuable resource

anyone can use. You have the option of uploading a huge

amount of images into a personal portfolio...effectively providing

a public web site for anyone to access. How much do you think

you would have to pay a host for a website annually?

Can't afford a measly $25. for a specific service like this? How

the hell can you afford a Leica or any of its' knock-offs, and film,

and chemicals, and a computer, and scanner, and internet

service. Rant all you want, I personally don't buy it.

Sorry guys, I don't buy your reasoning. "Just a measly $25, I'd

rather drop that in the plate at church. If you want everyone to

pay, make it a subscription site. If downloads are the bottleneck,

charge for them. If you want people to charitably donate,

disclose the corporate financials and not-for-profit credentials.

As far a high dollar gear and expensive travel goes, Phil G. is

pretty high on that list.

Dan, this is a Leica forum. Yes, I don't have to pay my dues to participate on this forum, but I enjoy the content and the discussion immensely and would hate to see it join the ranks of all the other budget constraint sites being forced to close down and that's why I contribute my share. Nobody is forcing you to pay the dues. Why feel so defensive?

Some people are givers, those who understand the value of something and act accordingly and some are takers, people that don't care. I call them users. I don't see how those kind of people make this world a better place. Excusing those that really can't afford it.

<p>Dan, consider it a subscription site, as of right now.

<p>We aren't going to stop guests from visiting the site. We aren't even going to stop them from registering and posting as guests, etc, until they decide whether the site is for them. And, people who can't afford the $25.00, or who are in a country where it is impossible to pay us for one reason or another, are welcome as our guests, indefinitely, as long as they contribute positively.

<p>But we expect people who use the site frequently and who can afford it to subscribe. As of right now, for people who can afford it, we have a "try before you buy" business-model.

<p>So now that it is officially a subscription site, I'll take you at your word that you are prepared to subscribe: here's <a href="/photonet-subscriptions"><b>the link</b></a>.

Dan made it clear. Most people understand what I mean in last post. I just don't want pepole just look at others name to see if there is a icon associated with and judge from there. If $25 can ONLY buy patron of this site I think it is unfair. I am subscriber now which has nothing to do if I have made any contribution to this site.

Wow, I never thought that was going to work. Dan, you are a gentleman. By the way, I was quite serious. Right now, I am working on changing the login-screen and sign-up process to emphasize the fact that the site is not a "free" site. It is a subscription site. We welcome guests who would like to try the site out. Guests have nearly the same priveleges as subscribers. If you are student, or a retired person, or for some other reason can't afford the subscription fee, you are welcome to remain a guest until such time as you can afford a subscription. We also hope to make arrangements that will make it more convenient for our non-U.S. guests to subscribe if they are in countries where PayPal is not an option. Until we do that, our international visitors too are welcome as guests of the site.

Otherwise, in all sincerity, if you use the site frequently, we would like you to pay the subscription fee.