Wimberly tripod head

mitch_mcconnell

Sorry, can't help with Boston. I've never seen one in a store and as far as

I know, Wimberly only sells them direct. You might see one at a

large photo show. At the recent Photo '97 (or whatever they called

it) at the Javits Center in New York, Nikon had a couple of their

large lenses displayed on Wimberly heads.

<p>

The heads are very solid and very well built. If you need a head

for a <b>large</b> lens there isn't a better way to go in my opinion.

Only downsides are that they are physically quite large and heavy

and they're <em>not</em> the head of choice for smaller lenses! They're

probably wasted on anything smaller than a 400/2.8 or a 600/4.

They actually work pretty well with a 300/2.8 as well. I had a chance to use one the spring before last down in Florida. My next tripod head will be a Wimberley. But your right about the weight Bob. With a camera body, a 600/4, a decent tripod and this head you will be toting about 30lbs over your shoulder (I think photgraphic equipment is being designed by chiropractors!).

It's not so much the weight (though that's a factor too) as the

size of the Wimberly that makes it a specialized head. While you

can easily put a B1 in your pocket, maybe even a B2 or a 3038 if you

have strong pockets, there no way you can cram a Wimberly in there.

I'd guess it takes up a lot of space in any bag, simply because

it has to be big to do what it does. There is no substitute though!

<p>

I made myself a gimble mount based on a slightly different principle

(something like a fork mount for those who aer familar with telescopes). It's smaller than a Wimberly, weighs about 3.5 lbs, but

it's probably not as sturdy. It did cost $400 less though! DPNP made something sililar, but I haven't seen their ads in a while.

I have been using a Wimberly for about one year, but after the first month found that side to side pans were a problem if the tripod itself was not absolutely level. A gret answer is to add a Bogen leveler between the tripod head and the Wimberly so you can level at the top very quickly and accurately. If your tripod does not have a built in bubble level this is hard to do so Bogen builds in its own. I use this primarily with a 500mm f4 and it is heavy to carry but fast in use. I have to recommend this a lot--it beats a ball head that can allow your mounted camera and lens to slip to the side.

At a recent photo show in Boston, I saw a Bogen head that was similar in concept to the Wimberly. It used a fork similar to Bob's head. I didn't catch the price or take a good look at it, but it may be worth investigating. It's probably cheaper than the Wimberly.

<p>

I think something like this would not be hard to make, but that's just me(and Bob it seems).

Thanks to all for replying. I am definitely going to try and look

at both the Wimberly and the B1G. Despite the weight, with a 600 it appears to be necessary to have something substantial. I don't see how any ball-head design could avoid the dreaded "flop", though. Even if nothing is harmed, the thought of a big lens falling over does leave one feeling a little queasy.

<p>

Mitch

I believe that Bogen now have a "fork mount" head with QR. I saw

a picture of it once and it wasn't very impressive to look at.

Basically a stip of metal bent into a "U". Bogen don't exactly

have a reputation for the ultimate in engineering when it comes

to their tripod heads, but I'll bet it's cheap and it will

probably work reasonably well for its price.

<p>

Couldn't find a listing for it on the B&H pages.

I believe the Bogen unit Bob mentioned is the 3421 Heavy Duty Telephoto Lens Support. It is a swivel/gimbal design with a U-shaped bracket within a U-bracket. It apparently allows some fore-aft adjustment of the camera/lens for balancing. Haven't used it so I don't know how well it works. I would be surprised if B&H Photo doesn't have it or can't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw one of the new Bogen heads in use over the weekend and got to play with it some. The photographer said it cost $100 and it did have QR on top. The feel is not as good as a Wimberly, or my B2, but at the difference in price, it was very good. He had a 600 f5.6 on it and it seemed adequate for that lens. Definetly worth considering, especially if price is a consideration.

• 1 year later...