What would you do ?

What would you do if by some stroke of bad luck, you come home only to find that your home has just been broken into. According the police and some of your neighbors, a group of men were seen moving stuff out of your house and putting into a large van. After further investigation, you come to the conclusion that every single piece of your photography equipment is gone ? The same can be said if a Tornado, or Hurricane hit your house and all of your photography equipment is completely destroyed... What would you do ? You spent years aquiring this equipment and now it's gone in the blink of an eye. Would you start all over ? Or would you get discouraged and find another outlet for your creativity ?  

Edited by hjoseph7

If I had such a break in, I would be far more concerned about the personal safety of my family than anything else.  Most of my stuff is insured and replaceable, people's lives are not.

• Like 1

That's why I keep a spare camera in the car or with me. If I lost everything I think I could get up and running again for $500 to $1000. Today's entry levels cameras I much better that anything I have now.

Creativity as a way of being will always find a way. Collecting equipment is another matter. 
I would use my iphone to make a report then if there was an interesting photo op I would use the phone to capture it. 
I would also be grateful for the photos I have already made having been stored elsewhere. And ironically take some comfort in having the answer to what I should do with the rather large collection of equipment I have aquired. 

• Like 1

n e y e

19 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

all of your photography equipment is completely destroyed... What would you do ?

I'd look to see if I could find or save any family photos and a few of my more treasured books and I'd be thankful no one in my family was hurt.

"You talkin' to me?"

Posted (edited)

Tell you the truth, I would be totally devastated. I have photographer's insurance and homeowners insurance, but I'm not sure what is covered ? I use to keep a bag with all my purchase-receipts, but no longer do that because I can always pull them up from confirmation emails on my computer. They only go back so far though.

My kids are grown and out of the house, so that's one thing less and other than a fish-tank I don't have any pets. The reason why I posted this is because last year my neighborhood got hit by a tornado. I was out shooting some properties that day and on my return back home I got caught in the lingering effects of the tornado. I tried to reach my home, but the area was cordoned off by the National Guard and the police, it was total chaos !

Finally I found a place to park my car, so I started walking towards my home. I had to walk 10 or so blocks through all type of debris, downed trees, downed wires, cars and truck flipped over, homes totally demolished it was like Apocalypse Now ! The closer I got to my home the worse it got. I began thinking to myself oh no,  why me, all my stuff, the stuff I spent years aquiring is probably gone. All those reviews I read trying to purchase the perfect item, not just photo equipment. All those bids on ebay !  From the look of the destruction, I don't see how any of that stuff could have survived.

Fortunately for me,  when I reached my block there was no major damage, just minor damage. Everything was still standing. When I opened the door and gingerly looked insidet, some of the stuff that was hanging on the walls had fallen. We had no electricity, or water but that's about it. My fish were doing fine like nothing happened and all of my equipment was intact. I drew a huge sigh of relief. Later on I suffered from survivors-guilt, but to tell you the truth, I'm glad, better I was very grateful it wasn't me ...    

storm4.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

_PEN1329_1.jpg

Edited by hjoseph7
  • Like 3

Wherever you live, nature rules. I have lived in different areas with Hurricanes, Floods, Tornadoes, and most recently, Wildfires.  You take reasonable precautions and live life. Roseanne Roseannadanna  put it pretty neatly "It's always something."  Life involves risk.  A very large oak fell on my Folks house.  A stout building, the tree removed, and I cut it and split it for firewood over the Summer, the house temporarily then permanently repaired.  Most amusing was that when they sold, the wealthy buyer had a custom house torn down to facilitate his Wife's interests in projects. At the end of it all it is stuff.  Could I do with just one of my cameras, and the lens or two in my Go Bag?  Of course.  Photos? I'd miss some hard copy family history prints, but I can make more photos and do nearly everyday.  Do your best and refuse to let fears limit you.

• Like 1

In 1998 we had just moved into a house that we renovated. Workers were still in and out. I came home one day and all my equipment had been carried off. I lost a few prized slides as well. Insurance covered the equipment (an F3 and a 35-70 f2.8 zoom lens) and we went on a planned vacation a week later.

Now the only difference is that I keep off site backups to my digital files. 

I have several metal equipment cases that I use to store my equipment. Although I didn't purchased them for things like Tornadoes, or any other act of nature. They might have survived if that were the case, but I would probably still have to find them. They are labeled (Canon) (Nikon) (Film) (Misc) etc, etc. 

I did walk in to my home to find out it had been broken into. Besides dumping every drawer in the place on the floor looking for valuables and money; they stole my laptop, and external monitor, my roommate's computer and didn't touch my cameras that included a couple of Med Format cameras and a couple of film Leicas nor did they take any of my 3 really good guitars.  First thing I did was call the cops.  They told me enter and grab thieves wouldn't know anything about the old film cameras and wouldn't be able sell them and the guitars were too big. Since they focussed on finding money in drawers, and computers, they focussed on quick sale items, probably to buy drugs.  Doesn't mean your good cameras and instruments are safe from theft, but normally they look for easy to sell items.  Same exact thing happened to a friend in another town. At least that's what the cops said. They try to get in and out in a couple of minutes.  Sorry to hear of your losses hjoseph7.