I recently received a Leica M4-p with a summicron lens and meter

that was just redone. But I don't know how to use it or set it? Can

anyone give me a little help? Or direct me a site that might give

some help?

Thanks

Rob

Thanks

Rob

I assume you have a Leica meter MR-4. First you set the film speed. Back in the "old days" there were two systems, the German DIN and the America ASA, in common use. Today's ISO numbers are the same as the old ASA numbers. Set the ISO in the little window on the dial marked ASA and forget about the DIN window. The wheel that has a pin to couple with the camera's shutter speed dial can be pushed up a bit at one extreme of its rotation so you can slide the meter into the camera's shoe. Rotate it the other way and the pin should drop down and engage the camera. As you rotate the meters wheel it will turn the shutter speed dial on the camera, and you can read the shutter speed on the meter. Pushing the black button inward turns the meter on, but only as long as it is pressed. Release it and it locks the setting. The 90mm frame line shows the area covered by the meter. You can read off what f-stop to use on the top dial. There is a little switch at the corner of the meter to change from high to low sensitivity. Pretty easy to use! Enjoy. Make sure it's been recallibrated for the 1.5 volt alkaline batteries or else use the special cells made by Wein. The original 1.3 volt mercury batteries are no longer made.

Hi Rob,

Al is right. If both �B� on the meter and on the camera are in face of the respective marks the operation can be done: pushing up the wheel on the meter, sliding it on the camera shoe, and rotating the speed wheel to couple both. As well as sliding off the meter from the camera. If you play a little with the meter you find soon the right way.

Batteries: in Europe the former 625-button cells with 1,35 volts (original voltage of this meter) can still be found.

Have pleasure.

Thanks to John Collier from whom I received useful information.