200. For my all purpose lens I'm still using a 12 year old AF35-105,

3.4-4.5. I like the size, weight and the range and the optics seem

to be decent if not great. Does anyone have experience with this

lens and have any suggestions as to whether I should just stick to

this lens, or is there another one that will be an improvement and

worth the investment.

Thanks,

Howard

The general consensus amongst prime users (prime focal lengths that is) is that the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 AF-D IF is an "acceptable" zoom. I like the 28-105mm and my only uncertainty regarding recommending this lens would be for manual use as the focus ring has the least amount of throw I have seen in any Nikon. Other than that I find it to be an excellent day lens. Oh and it has an excellent close focusing distance with an okay macro setting (half life size). Many of us Nikonians also have high hopes for the as-of-yet-unreleased 24-120mm AFS VR.

I've also used the 24-50m AF, 24-85 f2.8-4, 24-85 AFS, 24-120, and the 28-200 and I've found the 28-105mm to be the best zoom day lens for quality and focal lengths.

Cheers,

It's a good question, Howard, and one I wrestle with too. I'm embarassed to say how many lenses (both primes and zooms) I have in this general range, but I too am drawn to the 35-105 (AF-D version). I have or have had every AF Nikkor in this range, plus the Tokina 28-80 2.8, and I don't think you need to change a thing. The 28-105 has some advantages but none that seem, to me, anywhere near worth the cost of switching. I don't think it's any sharper, at least not when comparing my 2 samples. Sooner or later I'll settle on one of them, plus the Tokina for its speed, but I think you're already there. Spend the money on film.

I have owned and used both the 35-105/AF-D & 28-105/AF-D. The 35-105/AF-D is a fine lens, but the problem is that it doesn't focus close enough...for me anyway. The 35mm focal length cannot be used to its fullest unless you can get close. The 28-105 is much better in this regard.

<p>

Just my opinion.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your second question, Howard. The computer failed me and it's taken awhile to get rolling again. In any event, I think there are some substantial differences between the 'D' and 'non-D' versions of the 35-105. I've never owned the earlier lens -- except the MF version, which I didn't like much -- but I believe they use different optical and/or mechanical formulas. Nikon added internal focusing to the 'D', but I think they also increased the closest-focusing distance from about one foot to three. That doesn't bother me at all but other folks see it differently. Doesn't the non-D lens get a 'macro' moniker from Nikon? The only other difference I'm aware of is that the hoods are different for the D and the non-D, which signifies substantial changes. Is one better than the other? Sorry, I just don't know, but I can't imagine that the differences would be worth the switch. Can someone who has owned both lenses help here?