ST-E2 transmitter to trigger Elinchrom Studio strobes

m_heffernan

Good question. I suspect that since it passes TTL information there could be a problem. If you have one try it. If you are looking to purchase and you have no other use for it other than to trigger your Elinchroms (like actually using it with Canon flashes) then I would suggest the Wein SSR. Looks the same and will do what you want for about $109 instead of $179.

The ST-E2 unit is a master unit for Canon E-TTL flash. It sends digitally encoded

pulses of infrared light to wireless E-TTL slave flash units.

Using external studio flash units like the Elinchroms means you trigger the flash units

using a simple electrical cable - a PC cable.

So, no. you can't use an ST-E2 to trigger a studio flash unit. Totally different

technologies.

Now you could have optical slave triggers attached to the studio flashes. These

trigger in response to a burst of light from another flash. The problem here is that

wireless E-TTL (and regular E-TTL for that matter) sends out brief bursts of preflash

light before the shutter opens. So your optical slaves will be confused by this and fire

too soon.

If you want to trigger studio flash without cables you'll need optical slaves on them

and a plain flash or plain TTL flash trigger on the camera body itself.

• 6 months later...
Yes, this is possible. I've done it with my Multiblitz strobe. You only need the ST-E2/Generic Strobe Adaptor, which is a piece of tape you use to cover the four smaller flash contacts in your camera's hot shoe leaving only the larger center contact open. When you take a picture, the ST-E2 only sends one signal. Of course, your camera is set to manual and you use a flash meter (but you already knew that). Works with all cameras with a standard hot shoe.

I'd like to join the author of this question, since the camera & lighting set up I have (canon elan7 and Prolinca flash units) is quite similar.

One option I think of is to use Canon's dedicated 420EX flash by simply turning up/back its head and not letting flashlight to participate in strobe lighting. problem is that it may not be always feasable (due to the angle of shot, reflection from the walls etc.)

Is there any transmitter (non expensive compared to i.e. 420EX)that can be mounted on canon hot shoe and be able to fire my three Prolinca (250w/s X 250 X 400) units without any additional recievers to be attached to the units in order to make them work as slaves? thanx for your comments...

Zuri - Since I last posted my question on this forum I've purchased the ST-E2 and I've tried to use it with my three Alien Bees strobe units. I soon discovered that even with covering the four smaller points on the hot shoe with tape, the ST-E2 would not trigger the strobes unless it was pointed directly at one of them, which isn't practical considering the ST-E2 is in a fixed position on the hot shoe of my digital Rebel. I also tried using my Canon 380x flash, but because it's designed to be used with the metering system of the EOS cameras, it was not practical for setting-off external, remote strobes (pre-flash and all that). The best solution I found, and what ended-up being the least expensive, was putting my basic Vivitar 285 flash on the hot shoe of the Rebel and pointing the flash toward the ceiling. No matter where I placed my camera and the strobe units, the Vivitar 285 never failed to set-off the Alien Bees. It worked great. As far as the problem with unwanted light from the upward pointing flash, I simply would place my hand over the 285 or put a business card on it.