Wallace ExpoDisc with digicam? White/gray/black?

The Wallace ExpoDisc *seems* like it might be a good way to ensure

both accurate exposure AND color balance when used with cams that

provide custom white balance capability.

Have you used it? How has it worked for you?

The other alternatives to achieve the goals are Westcott's full size

reflector that has three strips - white/gray/black - one one side and

pure white on the other side. I've also seen a palm sized pocket

version.

TIA for suggestions/experiences!/Scott Gardner

Hi Scott,

picked 2 up 2 weeks ago. Had an engagement shoot this past Friday which I used it on and love the it. I use it for white balance, and it gives me the best skintones that I've seen on my 10D (and they were already really good with AWB). The consistency is wonderful, and editing is a breeze when you don't have to worry about white balance.

Had a shoot in a church which it couldn't lick, but that was horrible lighting: sodium vapour overhead, stage lights on stage, and flourescent lights around the room. Yikes! Tried using the expodisc straight at the overhead lights, angled btw 2 lights, and from the stage to my shooting point. Nothing worked consistently, but this was some of the worst lighting I've encountered.

Anyways, I'm glad I bought it, and will be using it for all future weddings. It takes a bit more time to use, but saves *much* more time in post process that I won't be shooting without it.

BTW: Unlike the manual states, if you're using a 10D, you don't have to switch back to AWB every time you shoot thru the expodisc. This saves a bunch of time during a shoot.

Best,

David, thanks for sharing your experience.

You seem to be running a bit ahead of me in general. You already have ExpoDiscs and have already encountered a classic nightmare lighting situation. I met with a client just last week to pick up a signed contract and check out her church. It's one that televises its services and has a plethora of lights which we were not allowed to turn on. I'm thinking the best approach will be to overpower the lights with flash and forget about dragging the shutter to avoid weirdness in the background. Of course, the altar/stage *starts* almost six feet above ground level so I'll have to get creative to avoid making them look like the Munsters anyway. How did your pix from that shoot turn out?

I'm curious about one point you mention: "you don't have to switch back to AWB every time you shoot thru the expodisc". Do you mean custom balance? The material I read indicated that an exposure should be made with the disk in place and that frame would be used for setting custom balance. I have a D30 so the procedure may be different.

Thanks!/Scott

Hi Scott,

Your plan for the church sounds good, especially if the officiating Pastor is ok with flash. You might also want to do a WB with the expodisc and take some existing light shots to see how you like them too.

My shoot went pretty well, but I spent a lot of time with Capture One LE tweaking, and some of the skintones are still a little off. Here's the job if you want to take a peak: http://www.thelionsden.ca/dqstudios/seac/jackylauordination/index.htm

"I'm curious about one point you mention: "you don't have to switch back to AWB every time you shoot thru the expodisc". Do you mean custom balance?"

Yes. The expodisc manual says that you should switch the camera back to AWB mode every time you shoot a white frame with the expodisc. This is not necessary on the 10D which is clearly stated in its manual (i.e. WB picture can be shot in *any* WB setting). Saves tonnes of time. Hope it's the same on the D30.

All the best on your shoot, and let me know how it turns out.

Best,