1Ds functions lock up after changing lenses

kj1

After 2 months of shooting with the 1Ds, I have found that if I forget

to switch off the camera BEFORE changing lenses, the features can lock

up. THis prevents me from changing exposure compensation, ISO, TV/AV

combos, WB, etc.. The only way I have found to un-lock this is to

physically remove and reinsert the main battery.

Anybody else experience this? or am I the only one that gets caught up

and doesn't turn off the power before switching lenses? I also found

that not switching off the power first causes a lot of dust to collect

on the sensor. If I power off first, I have no problems with dust or

camera features.

OK, switching the camera off is the best way due to dust, but a camera that locks up if you don't do that before switching lenses would be close to useless to PJs. The symptoms aren't typical for 3rd party lenses, but there's still a remote chance it's due to such a lens: as you certainly know, many 3rd party lenses don't "talk" to EOS bodies that were made after the introduction of the respective lens, hence the camera locks up entirely. In mid-range Canons, this usually shows as the mirror stopping in mid-air and "bc" blinking in the top LCD. Does your 1Ds lock up after <u>removal</u> of a lens, or after <u>mounting</u> another one?<p>If your camera locks up if you remove a Canon EF lens and mount another one (or re-mount the first one), then it's due for exchange. After two months, it's certainly still under warranty.

Thanks for the replys. I own the Sigma 15-30mm, the EF-L 24mm TS, and the EF-L 70-200mm f/2.8 which I used on my Italy trip. On a few occasions that I have found the camera features 'non-responsive' it was after changing lenses with the camera powered on. The symptoms are not being able to change the White Balance, not able to bring up the ISO option, not able to change exposure compensation. The camera will still shoot, although the images are often incorrectly exposed. That was my first clue something was wrong.. again, removing and replacing the battery fixes it. Also turning the camera off between lens changes helps prevent dust and this 'dead' feature issue. The Sigma seems to talk fine with the 1Ds.. I imagine that unmounting the lens, shorting out contacts and switching signals is causing the camera to 'freeze' the current state. I'd like to hear what other 1D and 1Ds users have experienced..

KJ

I have experienced no such problems with my 1Ds, and I change

lenses all the time without switching the power off. The only time

I switch off the power is when changing memory and when

hooking up the firewire.

I'd call Canon service, but you'll probably have to send it in (they

were friendly and attentive when I called about a different

problem with my own 1Ds). Good luck. . . .

Turning off the camera discharges the sensor, reducing if not eliminating the dust sucking electrical field around it. It's just my experience with using the camera.

I called Canon tech support, their response was to conduct more tests between the manual and auto canon lenses i.e. 24mmTS and the 70-200 IS. They suggest powering off the camera between lens changes and feel that the feature-freeze represents a loss of communication between the body and the lens. Normally the camera body would display an ERROR if it looses communication to the lens, but since I replace it with another lens, it sees the new lens.. I tried a dozen tests last night with the camera on, no failures at all.. with any combo.

I suspect that it was a combination of heat, partial contacts as I tried to line up the lens, auto and manual and 3rd party lens.

At any rate, I logged a call, if I have any more problems, I'll send it in for a checkup.

• 2 weeks later...

I verified that FW 1.02 was installed on my 1Ds. I haven't done any shooting since getting back from the Italy trip. Now that the weather is hot and humid, I will run some more tests with the power on.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

• 2 months later...

I have found that I can recreate the lockup by setting the powersave feature to less than 8 minutes and then letting the timeout expire.

I then halfway depress the shutter to 'reactivate' the camera. Then I take the shot. 100% of the time, the shutter will lock, the viewfinder goes black, and I have to turn off the power and turn it back on again to get back to normal. THis is a real PITA, causing me to lose that special shot. Another friend with a EOS D60 has the same problem.