Sell your car and buy a decent lens

tim_atherton2

What I don't understand about the Hypergon, which is known as being about the best Goerz ever had to offer, is why some other company hasn't replicated the effort. I'm sure the patent is no longer valid. $10K is about 5 times current market value; I don't think the aforementioned shill would even push it up 800%.

eBay can be a source of great entertainment. I once saw an enlarging lens listed as "Near mint." The seller explained that it had "a light growth of internal fungus and haze."

Yup, that's what I call "near mint."

>>> For the benefit of those without familiarity with this lens, could someone please explain the spider thingie hanging off it?

Equivalent of a center filter. The Hypergons were very wide angle lenses (huge coverage) but that meant a huge differnece in exposure between centre and edge from cos^4 fall off. Open shutter, drop it over the lens, and blow the spider thingie (fan) to set it rotating. Evens out the exposure difference. Cheers, DJ

Let us not forget the constant usage of the word "rare" on ebay...

I've always thought, "if it's that rare...why are you selling it?" The

really humorous thing is that it's been sold for only $29.95! I'm

surprised somebody hasn't come along and advised buying

these "rarities" as investments. :>)

-- Henry

Hypergons are very difficult to grind as the glass is so curved etc, The Hypergon isn't the best lens Goerz made, its just the most expensive and best known 'rare' lens. The Hypergon isn't that sharp really. As for best lens Goerz made I'd say The Dagor..no the Artar! mmm maybe the Pantar..Yes...the Pantar!! But wait theres the Trigor and then the WA Dagor...I'm so confused!!!! ;-)

CP Goerz

The asking price isn't $10,000 -- the auction is at $10,000 with reserve not yet met.

But seriously, some of the price comparisons are inaccurate -- this is a 120 mm focal length, which may indeed be quite rare -- a quick web search turned up shorter focal lengths. I'm not saying that the price is right, but the focal length is something to consider. The 120 mm version was originally designed for 12 x 16 inch plates (http://www.cameraquest.com/hyper.htm), so if we believe Goerz, this lens would be an extreme wide angle for 11x14 film with the possibility of movements. I doubt that the image quality would support enlargements, but who enlarges 11 x 14?

• 2 weeks later...

<P><B>It's back!</B></P>

<P><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2931773111">120 mm Hypergon -- ebay #2931773111</A>. No one bid starting at $10,000. This time the opening bid is only $1000, but we don't know whether the lowest price has changed since it is still a reserve auction. Also note that it is a private auction.</P>