A portrait lens: Nikkor 135/2.8 vs Nikkor 85/1.8

alex_libinson

I use the Nikkor 135/2.8 Ser.E as a portrait lens for Nikon FM2. Now

my colleague sells an old Nikkor 85/1.8 (modified to AI) and I

consider to buy it.

What are the advantages this lens comparatively to 135/2.8 ?

Sometimes the perspective of 85mm lens is considered as the closer to

the �natural� than the one of the 135mm lens, but I can not see the

difference playing with the appropriate zoom.

Is the effect of the shallower DOF (1.8 vs 2.8) clearly seen at the

portraits �head and shoulder�?

Probably, going in this direction it is much bette rto look for

85/1.4 ?

To see a change in perspective, you have to move your feet (forgive me if this is too basic). When you're playing around with that zoom lens, try keeping the same framing (i.e., 'head and shoulders') as you zoom by moving closer or farther away from your subject. Then the perspective change will make more sense.

Conventional wisdom would say that the 135 is a 'head shot' lens and the 85 is more of a 'head and shoulders' lens (someone will undoubtedly jump in here and say something like 'you can use any lens for any purpose, leave your fears and preconceptions behind. . .').

If you're shooting 'head and shoulders' with either lens, faster aperture means narrower DOF. It's approximately correct to say that DOF is a function of image magnification; therefore you'd get about the same DOF on a head and shoulders photo at f/2.8 regardless of whether you used a 35, 50, 85, 135, or 200mm.

The difference in size and cost between an 85/1.8 and an 85/1.4 is large. Is it worth the difference? Only you can say.

Basic differences - you will be closer to your subject for the same framing with the 85. You'll be able to get a shallower DOF (maybe one of the math whizzes can put the numbers up for me). If you're indoors, it could mean the ability to get a head and shoulders vs. just a headshot, because you can only backup so far. As far as the 1.4 - that's a big price jump for a 1/2 stop of light. I personally couldn't justify the cost. But this is a personal decision. Good luck.

The 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor is my primary general purpose lens. It's

superb for portraiture, but it's also excellent for almost

everything else too.

I've seen a night shot portrait with the Bay Bridge as the background

with all three lenses, and you can easily pick out the picture taken with the 85 1.4 by the sharpness and also the round blurred bridge lights and creamy smooth background. I personally prefer that look

and the other two lenses are unable to reproduce that look.

Yes, and then there is the 105.2:5.....an exceptional lens!!!

Alex, anything from 85 to 180 will give you great H&S (or head)shots.

I've used a 135 F:2 DF Nikkor with great results (but now have sold it as I found I didn't use it all that much) as well as a 80-200 2.8 AFS and a 85 F:1.8..... All worked well.

Steve....I'm really thinking of getting this lens (in AF) as the long lens in a three lens kit and I'm sure it will be superb!

Alex, remember that not all of your shots will be taken at maximum aperture (will they??). Good bokeh is great but just think of how often it will come into play.

Hang in there Lex, we need you, I heard someone just started a " Which should I buy as a starter SLR Canon or Nikon?" There is a flame war brewing and the question about the fish living longer in the pond or hand can't be far behind.

You need both an 85mm and a 135mm lens. Some zoom lenses do not allow a minimum focus distance short enough for the best portrait use. Otherwise you could really get some good practice at 85mm with the right zoom.

There is (was) a book which covers how to take more flattering portraits of different facial types by selecting the appropriate focal length. Why not see if you can find a copy? I once took a shot of an oriental gal with a 180mm lens, and it made her look like she had her face pressed up against a piece of glass, Garfield style. Oops! And last year some extremely self confindent ASS took a photo of me for an employee badge by shooting from a distance of about fifteen inches from my face. Can you say BIG FAT JOWLS? The wrong shooting distance and the wrong focal length were used in both cases.

An 85mm lens and some practice will most likely pay off for you. An AI'd 85mm f1.8 lens is a great Nikon lens, second in my opinion only to the much more expensive Nikon f1.4 models.

• 2 weeks later...