Nikon Wednesday, 10 July 2024

ShunCheung

Note: Consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc.). New to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threads. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Two different fishing methods: The snowy egret is about to swallow a shrimp, but the brown pelican scopes up a lot of tiny fishes and swallows them all.

SnowyEgret_6217.jpg.18ae575181bf7e8c29d559561d269a64.jpg

BrownPelican_6371.jpg.565e9b7bb7bb655083753fb77ed1dcd7.jpg

• Like 17

I returned the copy of the Nikon AF-micro NIKKOR 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6D I had last week because when I tested it for distance performance it wouldn't focus to infinity.

Today I got a different copy of that lens and it does focus to infinity, and the close-up results seem similar to the previous copy (more rigorous testing tonight regarding that).

In the meantime, a little close-up playing/testing of the new copy of a lens I will be using in my landscape/nature kit:

_1A12714_Photonet.jpg

_1A12724_Photonet.jpg

_1A12737_Photonet.jpg

Edited by tonybeach_1961
  • Like 13

Z9, 800PF

Breakfast is ready, service will commence any minute now.

Breakfast - the most important meal of the day.

Tough lesson to learn for the youngest one - it's last in the pecking order. And its sibling let it be known.

Pecking Order

Mom appears a bit concerned about the violence of the pecking.

Take it easy on the little one!

• Like 12
  • On Point 1

I have decided to modernize (somewhat) sell the dlsrs and move on. Dealer gave me a good deal on a used Z6 and updated the firmware to accept CF Express cards. First test shot using the Z28 2.8. 
 image.jpeg.a3c334063e145d95ccb12abe5fbf3380.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

Esplanadi Stage in Helsinki is a nice place to see open air concerts with free admission. This photo is from yesterday. Z8, 135/1.8 at f/1.8, 1/800 s, ISO 160.

Nice picture, but using the 135mm Plena @ f1.8 on two subjects will certainly have (at least) one of them totally out of focus. This is probably a perfect case to merge two different exposures, one with each subject in focus, since there is no overlap between the two singers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

Nice picture, but using the 135mm Plena @ f1.8 on two subjects will certainly have (at least) one of them totally out of focus. This is probably a perfect case to merge two different exposures, one with each subject in focus, since there is no overlap between the two singers.

I shot some frames at f/5.6 and f/8 as well, but preferred this one. Although the depth of field doesn't cover Ingrid, the emotion shows through. If I combined two frames, it would be quite a lot of work to ensure there are no discrepancies (the singers moved quite a lot around) and it wouldn't be a single moment. But I can see why one might make different choices than I did. I will see if I have a good f/5.6 or f/8 frame to compare with, to illustrate why I preferred the f/1.8 one.

• Like 1

You can shoot f16 and still won't get both singers within depth of field. If your camera is on a tripod. you can merge two exposures with separate focus on each singer, but the background could be an issue if there is focus breathing.

7 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

You can shoot f16 and still won't get both singers within depth of field. If your camera is on a tripod. you can merge two exposures with separate focus on each singer, but the background could be an issue if there is focus breathing.

The main issue with that is, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that the singers move quite a bit about as they play their guitars and swing about, and this means that if I want to switch between having the two singers in focus one at a time, the singers will be in different positions in the two frames and so I have to make up some background to compensate for the movement. I suppose it might be that if taking several shots on a tripod, there would be enough material to cover the exposed parts of the background, but there can still be changes in lighting as the sun shifts through the leaves, and overall I find this kind of an approach quite a lot of work, and as I'm on holiday it just isn't the part of photography that I enjoy. I've done a number of group shots where I've had to fix expressions by copying people from one shot to another, and even when using a tripod I never quite seem to get it right so that there are no problems with the background-subject border area. They might be undetected by most people in the final application but they bother me a lot, and if I take that path I can't stop working on it until either it's perfect or I give up on trying to make it so.  I remember when one wedding guest wanted to be removed from a group photo, not at all realizing that in that person's place one would have to reproduce what is invisible in the image. I didn't do it that time, as I felt it was beyond difficult.  But I know there are photographers who on a routine basis combine people from different moments and they seem to get to where they want to be. It's just not for me.

What I do enjoy is the 3D feeling of a wide aperture and with the 135 mm f/1.8 shots as the more distant singer is in focus, the closer singer is blurred so one can imagine in one's brain that that blurred singer is closer to the camera, and then the background again is blurred and behind the focused subject, and the degree of blurriness tells the viewer about distances between the different parts of the image in the real world. To me this is very enjoyable and the fact that the lead singer is out of focus doesn't bother me much at all, the blur is not strong enough to hide all the emotion and so the shot works for me, as does the approach in general. Usually I focus on the closest subject but in this case as the more distant singer is facing more towards the camera, to me this choice is better. I do have shots where the closer singer in focus as well, but that didn't work as well for me in this case. f/8 shots do have both subjects adequately in the depth of field at this presentation size, more or less (100-400 mm at 200 mm, f/8, 1/640 s, ISO 2000):

ingrid2w.jpg.151b65e8ce2134cd4196872a7bd70c8f.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

having the two singers in focus one at a time, the singers will be in different positions in the two frames and so I have to make up some background to compensate for the movement

Correct.  Faux photo.

3 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

What I do enjoy is the 3D feeling of a wide aperture and with the 135 mm f/1.8 shots as the more distant singer is in focus, the closer singer is blurred so one can imagine in one's brain that that blurred singer is closer to the camera, and then the background again is blurred and behind the focused subject, and the degree of blurriness tells the viewer about distances between the different parts of the image in the real world.

Correct.  Real photo.

Your two paragraphs above sum it all up.  Nicely done.  

The problem with one subject out of focus is that the viewer's eyes are trying to resolve it, thus getting attention, but it is an image, not an actual person so that the eyes will not be able to resolve the focus. I find it particularly distracting when the subject that is closer to the camera is out of focus.