Return Prints

Can someone give me some advice on how to handle this situation. After shooting a wedding, one of the bride's relatives, maybe her grandfather, or uncle asks me to print some enlargements of the wedding. Mind you I did not make any prints of the wedding, just gave the couple a disk with all the wefdding images on it. I ask the bride's relative to send me the photos that he wants printed from that disk via a third-party Upload feature on my website or via email. I do not provide any editing, so basically what-you-see-is-what-you-get(WYSIWYG).

Prior to printing, I send a copy of the picture(s) to the client via email with certain variations to make sure we are on the same page. They can choose if they want borderless, bordered, 5X7, 8X10 etc. When I get the confirmation from the client, I print the picture at home, then ship it to client. Payment is made in advance.  If the client is not satisfied with the print(s), I will ask them to let me work on the print(s) until they are satisfied. Now suppose after 4 tries, the client says that he is still not satisfied and wants his money back. Are they entitled to a Refund given that I sent them 4 different prints + shipping ?     

I don't think they are entitled to any refund, but in order to keep the customer happy (not badmouthing you on social media), I would consider giving a refund, less the cost of shipping (+ actual cost to make the prints?), once they have shipped back the 4 prints they didn't like.

I would not want to lose any more braincells on these people.

Don't be surprised if good old grandad has already taken a photo of your prints with his smartphone and is happily showing it around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, Ken Katz said:

I don't think they are entitled to any refund, but in order to keep the customer happy (not badmouthing you on social media), I would consider giving a refund, less the cost of shipping (+ actual cost to make the prints?), once they have shipped back the 4 prints they didn't like.

I would not want to lose any more braincells on these people.

Don't be surprised if good old grandad has already taken a photo of your prints with his smartphone and is happily showing it around.

Great idea. I'm thinking about placing a 50% fee on returned prints.

Edited by hjoseph7

3 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

Great idea. I'm thinking about placing a 50% fee on returned prints.

If you didn't notify the client about your returned print fee in advance then you shouldn't try to apply it now.  Any working pro has had or will have clients like this--you have to weigh the alternatives of burning a bridge or attempting to satisfy a client.  If you do good quality work and have lots of other satisfied customers who would recommend you then maybe it is time to simply refund the money (on receipt of all of the rejected prints) and be done with it. At least that will put an end to this. I had a similar situation last year, but the second set of prints did the trick once I figured out that they wanted were what I felt were prints that were way too light.

Wait, there was no agreement whatsoever about prints, a separate transaction from the Wedding, basically a courtesy. - no good deed goes unpunished  I can't imagine you would deliver prints you weren't proud of.  Don't be intimidated. 

• Like 1

What was the problem with the original prints ? Was it anything which could have been altered in PP, or areas which were inherent in the shots (composition, focus, content etc. ?). Having done a couple of weddings myself, I know how some clients have, shall we say, enhanced expectations! Good luck - but if no formal agreement exists, I think you have done more than could be expected.

18 hours ago, Tony Parsons said:

What was the problem with the original prints ? Was it anything which could have been altered in PP, or areas which were inherent in the shots (composition, focus, content etc. ?). Having done a couple of weddings myself, I know how some clients have, shall we say, enhanced expectations! Good luck - but if no formal agreement exists, I think you have done more than could be expected.

Nothing wrong that I could tell ? I'm not a "master printer", but I know a good print from a bad one and I'm using good equipment. At first I sent him a bordered print, but he said he wanted borderless.  So I sent him a borderless print. Then he said the print was too dark for his tastes. I had somebody else look over the print before I sent it out, incase my eyes were playing tricks on me, but the print was still too dark for him. This does not happen often. Actually this is the first time this happened since I started doing this. I'm just wondering how long should I keep playing cat and mouse games with this guy and just refund his money. I'm tying to avoid extensive edits in photoshop because it's not worth it, so basically this is a WYSIWYG service.      

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hjoseph7 said:

Nothing wrong that I could tell ? I'm not a "master printer", but I know a good print from a bad one and I'm using good equipment. At first I sent him a bordered print, but he said he wanted borderless.  So I sent him a borderless print. Then he said the print was too dark for his tastes. I had somebody else look over the print before I sent it out, incase my eyes were playing tricks on me, but the print was still too dark for him. This does not happen often. Actually this is the first time this happened since I started doing this. I'm just wondering how long should I keep playing cat and mouse games with this guy and just refund his money. I'm tying to avoid extensive edits in photoshop because it's not worth it, so basically this is a WYSIWYG service.      

IMHO you have done all that can be expected.  Not saying it is the case here, but I have known folks who bragged about getting "Free Stuff" just this way and laughing about it. Best of luck resolving the situation.  

• Like 1

Re-reading your original post, you gave the option of borderless or bordered, so if he selected the wrong one, it's down to him. As you say, 'too dark' is a personal interpretation of the print, but as he had been sent the images first, it is something he definitely should have mentioned, requesting the version he required.  As said, I think you have done all that could have been reasonably expected. For goodwill, you may make a small percentage refund (25% ?), but not the full amount. 

Some years ago, I got 200 Christmas cards printed from Shutterfly.

I am not sure now, but then they were printed, from the digital image,
on Fuji Crystal Archive, real AgBr based photo paper.

The picture had one tiny corner that was in the sun, and so
especially bright, but the rest of the scene was in the shade.

And the printer exposed based on the sunny corner.

Anyone would have instantly noticed that it was wrong.

I complained about it, and they gave store credit for them.
(And then didn't even ask for them sent back.)

I got more cards printed somewhere else, but plenty of
other (usually on sale) Shutterfly products later.

OK, another Shutterfly story.

Not as many years ago, we went to Cabo for Christmas,
and wife and daughter went to "Swim with Dolphins".

There is a trainer along with the dolphins, and
people get to swim with them.

I had this great idea to send a picture of the dolphin
and trainer to the trainer.  I sent a Shutterfly puzzle.

UPS couldn't find the place.  (It is a really big water
tank, so hard to miss, but that is what they said.)

Shutterfly sent another one.

UPS couldn't even find Mexico.  (The tracking showed
where it was, and it was not even close to Mexico.)

Shutterfly refunded the money, and sent one to me.
I didn't even try to send it.

I have no idea if this helps with the problem of wedding
shots, but many do refund, or at least store credit,
when things fail.

-- glen

9 hours ago, glen_h said:

Some years ago, I got 200 Christmas cards printed from Shutterfly.

I am not sure now, but then they were printed, from the digital image,
on Fuji Crystal Archive, real AgBr based photo paper.

The picture had one tiny corner that was in the sun, and so
especially bright, but the rest of the scene was in the shade.

And the printer exposed based on the sunny corner.

Anyone would have instantly noticed that it was wrong.

I complained about it, and they gave store credit for them.
(And then didn't even ask for them sent back.)

I got more cards printed somewhere else, but plenty of
other (usually on sale) Shutterfly products later.

OK, another Shutterfly story.

Not as many years ago, we went to Cabo for Christmas,
and wife and daughter went to "Swim with Dolphins".

There is a trainer along with the dolphins, and
people get to swim with them.

I had this great idea to send a picture of the dolphin
and trainer to the trainer.  I sent a Shutterfly puzzle.

UPS couldn't find the place.  (It is a really big water
tank, so hard to miss, but that is what they said.)

Shutterfly sent another one.

UPS couldn't even find Mexico.  (The tracking showed
where it was, and it was not even close to Mexico.)

Shutterfly refunded the money, and sent one to me.
I didn't even try to send it.

I have no idea if this helps with the problem of wedding
shots, but many do refund, or at least store credit,
when things fail.

Due to these issues, I opened a Merchant/Business account at my Bank so I can quickly refund the money if I have to. Acccording to the Bank, the refund is instantaenous, so there is no need for my client to wait 5-10 business days which is the very popular these days. I'm thinking that after 2 attempts to satisfy the client, I will just refund the money and save myself the aggravtion.    

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 2:46 AM, Tony Parsons said:

Re-reading your original post, you gave the option of borderless or bordered, so if he selected the wrong one, it's down to him. As you say, 'too dark' is a personal interpretation of the print, but as he had been sent the images first, it is something he definitely should have mentioned, requesting the version he required.  As said, I think you have done all that could have been reasonably expected. For goodwill, you may make a small percentage refund (25% ?), but not the full amount. 

Yes I checked the order and he chose the wrong option....

• Like 1

I don't sell prints in this way, but looking forward:

I think telling customers that you will work on them until they are satisfied is a bad idea, as it's too vague and open ended. I think you should also have a written return policy. Without that, you have to fall back on what is "reasonable", and as you can see from the postings here, people will disagree about that. And you and the customer are very likely to disagree.

The wrong option only accounts for one of the several you printed, so it doesn't get you out of this mess.

Unless there is a great deal of money involved, I personally would be inclined to be generous about this and write it off as a learning experience. However, I would not agree to any refund unless he returns all the prints. If he doesn't want to  pay for the merchandise, he shouldn't keep it. You could make this sound generous, e.g., 

"I'm very sorry that you were dissatisfied with the prints. Please return them to me. Once I have received them, I will refund the full purchase price, and I will absorb the cost of my shipping multiple copies to you."