Wista 45 DX II, What lenses fit folded camera?

john_latta

Perhaps some of you have experience using a Wista 45 DX II. Do you

know of lenses in the 120 to 135 focal length that will definitely

fit mounted in the folded camera without using a recessed lens board?

As far as using a 120 or 135 for backpacking mainly for landscapes

and some close-up photography of flowers, plants, rocks etc, do you

have any thoughts on preferences?

Thanks for any knowledge you would like to share!

John, I used a 150 mm Apo-Symmar on my Wista 45 DX and it fitted into the folded camera... however, by reversing the lensboard inside out before folding the camera. With this very simple trick, you should be able to use many lenses in the focal length range you're mentioning.

John, I think most small lenses of that focal range will probably fit. The two keys are: 1) reversing the lens (as noted by Marc) and 2) using lenses with #0 shutters. My traveling kit consists of the DXII (a wonderful camera!) 200 M Nikor, 135 Nikon and 105 Fujinon W. I listed the 200 first because it sees most of the duty. The 135 is a strong second. I like the Nikon, although I also recently purchased a Symmar (older convertible). I don't think there are too many bad modern 135 mm lenses. I use the 105 as a wider lens than 135. On a typical week's trip, I may use it for one or two images. I allow myself to crop slightly with it. Its coverage is limited for 4x5, but its size is the real plus. I use a 46 to 52 adaptor with the 105, and borrow the 52mm filters from my 35mm kit. The 200 is a nice length for closeups, too. Plenty of coverage, especially up close.

Wrap the camera in your focusing cloth, put everything in a backpack, and have at it!