What camera bag to use for streets of New York?

russell_dean

I will be traveling to New York in June and was wondering if anybody

could recomend a good camera bag to carry the following items: Nikon

F5 with Nikkor 28-70 2.8 attached with hood, Nikkor 80-200 2.8 with

hood reversed, Nikon SB-28 flash, film, cleaning supplies, filters

etc... My concern is to not stick out like a tourist with

expensive camera gear here for the taking! Anyone with exact

equipment or similar please respond. Thanks.

this one is pretty easy. though it may depend on how old you look. I am still young enough to use a regular school type backpack or a messanger bag that students often use without standing out. what i do in situations like that is stick my regular camera bag for protection inside a normal school backpack (i do and have done this many times with the canon equivalent of your gear). If you are too old to wear a school type backpack without looking out of place you might want to try using a gym bag. You know one of those nike or adidas or whatever duffel bags you stick gym clothes in. Again, you can stick a regular camera bag in their for the padding. Either way, it won't be obvious you have a camera.

Note that hte most likely way for you to seem like a tourist isn't the bag you hold but the way you look. If you are looking and pointing at skyscrapers it might be hard to not come off as a tourist.

Personally, I don't like shoulder bags - they keep slipping off.

<BR><BR>

Another option is one of the <a href="http://www.lowepro.com/pages/byStyle/toploads.htm">Lowepro Toploaders</a>. I have the <a href="http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/toploads/top_pro.htm">Zoom Pro AW</a>. It's good for a large 35mm with larger lens attached, a smaller lens and flash plus film and batteries. Another option could be the <a href="http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/oftrail2.htm">Trekker Off Trail 2 Beltpack</a> for even more room.

Check out all the <a href="http://www.lowepro.com">Lowepro bags</a> ...

Depending on your budget:

1. Paper and twine from Riker's Island

2. Crumpled paper bag from liquor store

3. Suit bag from dry cleaner's in Chinatown

4. String-handle paper sack from Macy's

5. Large plastic tote from Hammacher Schlemmer

If you want to look like a local you can find a heavy plastic shopping bag and just pile everything into it. You don't appear to be packing a lot of gear and the camera will most likely be hanging from around your neck. You'll save money on the expensive bag and have more cash to buy film (or beer).

i think most tourists use small digital cam nowadays and many use

digital video camcorders. the f5 and those fast lens would bring more

of a pro look instead.

have you thought of using a single focal length lens or a slower zoom.

they are much lighter and more discreet. how about a 35mm and a tele

combo? i really doubt you will use your 80-200 much for nyc street

photos i

A second vote for the Domke F4AF. If you have not done so already, ditch any 'logo' straps in favor of basic black (Domke again, in my case). I also obscure the logos on my cameras etc. with gaffer tape. There's not a hell of a lot you can do to disguise the shape of an F5 with either of those lenses. Judicious use of duct tape on top of the gaffer tape might lead the casual observer to think your cameras are 'held together' with duct tape and not give you a second look.

You could try to locate a pair of Domke photo satchels. Wear them criss-cross and the bulk is not that much. One bag - hanging on one side - all day will leave you with a sore back. Balance the load and your back will thank you the next morning!

I've never understood this concept of covering over your Nikon logo with black tape. Does an F3HP with motor or an F5 not look valuable regardless with a big honkin' zoom lens attached? Kinda hard to look inconspicuous!

I've shot all over New York and the 5 boroughs during my 12 weeks there last year with my F3HP rig and blended well with the locals. Its all in the attitude...looking like you own a "weaponized" camera and not afraid to use it! I own a big, black Domke J2 but I usually carried a small Lowepro Nova 3 bag with a body, a few lenses and a small flash. (my lenses are a fair bit smaller than your f/2.8 zooms) I also carry a North Face backpack stuffed with personal stuff and (sometimes) more gear but I prefer to shoot out of a shoulder bag since I can swap lenses quickly.

Other than the Domke bag option, I might suggest the messenger style shoulder bag. I have a few of them, and the padded insert comes out of my Lowe Pro S&F Reporter bag and drops right into the messenger bag. Of course, there's nothing to hide the camera when I pull it out of the bag, but in the meantime, it looks like a regular bag, and I feel as though I'm not being scrutinized... That seems to help quite a bit too because I tend to be more relaxed and don't stick out so much. <P>

I posted a question about this a long time ago and one of the suggestions that was made at the time was to carry camera gear in an old diaper bag. Not so sure I'm secure enough to do that myself, but it seems like a pretty good suggestion. At least with the messenger bag it's easy to get to gear quickly, unlike with a backpack. It works well as long as I'm not carrying a lot of gear because that gets pretty heavy after awhile.

As a born and raised New Yorker who does street photography in NYC, I wonder how many people who recommended some sort of commercial photo bag have actually spent significant time on the streets of New York taking pictures. If I were you, I'd heed the advice of the folks who did not suggest a commercial photo bag and instead recommended something much more nondescript that doesn't look like it contains anything expensive. For what its worth, when I do street photography I leave my camera bags at home and carry just a body with a 70-200mm lens attached. It's hidden in double plastic A&P supermarket shopping bags unless I'm actually photographing. Regardless of my precautions, I see plenty of expensive cameras being carried in Manhattan and think that most visitor's fears are vastly overated. Remain prudent to what's going on around you. I've never had an incident on the streets or in the subway. As with any big city, be sensible and enjoy your visit.

<i>

I've never understood this concept of covering over your Nikon logo with black tape. Does an F3HP with motor or an F5 not look valuable

regardless with a big honkin' zoom lens attached? Kinda hard to look inconspicuous! </i>

<p>

I don't actually do it as an anti-crime measure, I do it as something of an anti-social tactic. With visible logos, I seem to get a lot of inane comments along the lines of, "Wow, a Nikon. You must be a professional." With the logos blacked out, I don't. From my experience, I assumed it might have a similar affect on nefarious folk who are sizing up gear in the hopes of turning a quick couple hundred by selling it off.

<p>

An odd side benefit of blacking out the logos: people who *still* know what a camera is by the shape are more interesting to talk to ("That's an F2, isn't it? I loved that camera, I'm still bummed that mine was stolen in '74.")

Big black boots, black clothing and dark sunglasses (as mentioned above), and a

sturdy monopod. But for a different kind of 'support' (pardon the pun). Bring a friend,

if you can. Always keep an eye on your gear, and keep a strap around your neck.

That's how I do it in Oakland/San Francisco/Berkeley. Not that necessary for San Luis

Obispo, though -- I could probably leave it on my passenger seat, with the doors

unlocked, for a week. And only get a parking ticket.

The violin case was actually one I was looking into, just for the sake of being eclectic.

I already store some of my equipment in an ammo box.