Buying a 6x9

lennart_estrvm

Lately I been thinking of buying a 6x9 camera for use with a Roll-film back. There are a few interesting cameras on the market today and I wonder if anyone who tried some of these can help me. Is Linhof Technikardan 23s the camera for me? Or any other Linhof? What about the new model, M679? Has anyone tried Arca-Swiss F-Line?

What about lenses? Is Schneider or Rodenstock the best? Can Fuji or Nikkor match them?

Before answering, another question - why do want 6 x 9 and what will you do with the results ?

Remember these things:

- 6x9 isn't 60x90 mm it's more like 55x82mm

- if black & white negs there aren't too many enlargers on the market (but this can be solved)

- if colour neg, not many labs can handle 6x9

- if trannies, it's pretty difficult to get the equipment to project them.

<p>

Do you want to take static subjects or action ?

Do you want to use different lenses ?

Will you be carrying the camera around much, in which case weight & bulk are important ?

Would you prefer SLR or rangefinder ?

<p>

I have a Fuji GW 690 III and don't use it much now. The lens quality really is as good as other people indicate - very sharp and contrasty - except for slight darkening in the extreme corners at f5.6 and wider. Whereas I acquired a Pentax 67 which I use a lot, as it's possible to change lenses, the reflex viewfinder is more accurate, the lenses are great, and it's possible to project the slides with equipment that's not too hard to obtain. The 55x70mm image is not that far different to so-called 6x9 but the difference might be significant to you. The camera is bulky and heavy, though. But it isn't too expensive to buy.

<p>

Overall what I'm saying is to first carefully consider what you want to do with the camera, then choose the equipment based on that.

hello lennert,

any good lab will have 4x5 glass carriers that will handle up to 6x12cm, they're tricky (six surfaces to blow dust off) but not unusual.

<p>

i don't know of any 6x9 slr's (can you imagine the mirror slap!)

i've used the fuji 6x9s and 6x7 and they are incredibly sharp. long exposures are a pain as you must change shutter speeds to close the shutter when using B. really lame. the 6x17 is fantastic but not exactly a walk-about sort of camera.

<p>

Alpa is now making the best handholding 6x whatever (up to 9 cm) i have every held. it makes the plaubels feel like sherman tanks. they've got an adequate web site and the cameras are beautiful and in the $2500 to $4500 range depending on glass / movements etc.

<p>

calumet has a "Cambo-wide" that i've used with a 6x12 back. very simple (4x5 w/no movements and a handle) and you can put any glass you want on it as long as it fits their helical focusing mounts (a few). optical finder or ground glass.

<p>

the plaubel makina line is optically good but their film advance mechanisms need constant maintenance.

<p>

tom

<p>

ps: thank for the sl66 response, all those characteristics you mentioned don't bother me. it's my walkabout camera (with a monopod, a meter and a propack)...t

Hi again!

I intend to use the camera mainly for landscapes and I want both shift and tilt. That is why I want a "small large format camera" to use along with my Rollei SL66 SE. The 6x6 negative is sharp enough for me, but of course, if I by a 6x9 I will use that format as well. Hasselblad has their Flex-body which you can use with their C and CF - lenses, but I don4t think that is a serious alternative, though those lenses aren4t really made for restitution.

I do want a camera that4s light-weight cause I4m going to carry it around much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for cameras of this type (Technikardan 23, Arca-Swiss F-Line) the size of the negative is determined by the roll-film back you use. If you are concerned about problems some of the posters raise with 6x9, you could always buy 6x7 or 6x6 backs instead (or more than one format).

tom meyer (twm@meteor.com) replied on September 09, 1998:

<p>

i don't know of any 6x9 slr's (can you imagine the mirror slap!) ...

<p>

I designed an 8x10 SLR -- the biggest problem I faced was getting the mirror up and out-of-the-way, along with the accompanying mirror slap problem.

<p>

This was solved by using individual panes of mirrored glass which slid into the camera on guide strips. A hammer was configured to the top of the camera.

<p>

When the shutter is released, the hammer releases and smashes the mirror, followed by the opening and closing of the shutter. This allows for the image to be properly recorded on the film, and eliminates any mirror slap.

<p>

A wooden drawer at the bottom of the camera neatly collects all of the broken glass, as the user easily slides another mirror into the camera body.

R Warren, thanks. You had me in severe chuckles there! I faced similar problems while designing my 20x24 Polaroid SLR. At that dimensional level, the moment arm induced by the acceleration of the required 4-pound mall seemed to induce other vibratory problems. Portraits of non-vibratory subjects were generally unsatisfactory.

<p>

So I took another tack. Literally. I strapped a 2-year-old baby to the top of the camera, then when I was ready to make my shot, I slapped him in the butt with a thumb tack glued to a ruler. His 24KHz, 140db scream simultaneously broke the big mirror and scared the shutter into tripping. An unanticipated and serendipitous side effect was that the ear-piercing scream also caused the subjects to open their eyes wide at exactly the "decisive moment." Henri, move over, big time! Sometimes, the camera stank, but I got my shot!

<p>

Disclaimer: No real babies were harmed or discomforted in this experiment.

<p>

A note to the clueless & humorless: I love children, and in no circumstance would I ever harm a child, or even slap one in the butt with a tack. Do dare to think outside the box, then chuckle and go on with your life.

<p>

Mel Brown

• 5 months later...

Lennart,

Using the web, go to "A Large Format Homepage" and read the review by J.C. Metcalf on the Arca-Swiss 6x9 view camera. This is a very fine review.

I can attest to the precision workmanship and the easy of use of the Arca-Swiss 5x7 camera. Arca's 6x9 camera is very compact, light weight, and provides all expected view camera movements! Like all their cameras, Arca's fresnel lens and ground glass is very bright. Although I have only examined the Arca 6x9 in a shop, its portability is impressive! My sincere recommendation would be that you take the time to evaluate the Arca.

Jim (Thu 25 February 1999)

• 1 month later...

Dear Lennart,

If you are not adverse to buying an older camera, a "baby" Linhof might be the way to go (Super Technika III, IV , V or 70). (I have an ST III.) They have generally Zeiss or Schneider lenses, have front and back movements and come with a cammed rangefinder. The ST III and IV with three lenses can be obtained quite reasonably. Here in Australia you would pay about U.S$1000 for such a kit. I previously answered a similar question by Freek in this forum so you might like to refer to it. Regards, Ray Osmotherly (Rayosm @ Hotmail.Com)

• 3 years later...
I have a Technikardan 23 and it is great. Easy to use in the field and has axis tilts on both front and rear standards. The Super Rollex backs are really good too. I tried an M679 but it is not a field camera and much heavier and clunkier in my opinion though it does have geared movements. The basic M679 does not have direct shift which is a real pain. The M679cc would be much better but still basically meant for the studio. The Arca Swiss would also be a good choice.