Nature potential of the 200 f4 Ais lens

bob_thommes1

I recently acquired a Nikon 200 f4 Ais lens and have found it to be

quite sharp for the little that I've used it so far. I am curious as

to the potential that this lens has in regards to nature photography.

What kinds of 'nature' subjects might I expect to capture with this

lens? Just to guide your responses I want to make it clear that I'm

interested in this lens only. Obviously a 1200mm "f.1" might be the

ultimate, but that's not the question. I've considered a TC14A and

TC201, as well as the 3-4T close up diopters. In a previous posting

you implied that this lens works rather well with these additions. As

always, I eagerly look forward to your responses. Thank you in

advance.

Years ago I had a 200mm/f4, and it is a nice lens for certain landscape such as rocks and trees from a distance or some large animals. Today, this range is typically covered by a zoom either in the 70-200 or 70-300mm range. A 200mm/f4 macro is also very useful; in fact, that is what I have now and it is my primary macro lens.

No, I don't care for any 1200mm/f1. Even though it were given to me for free, I still need to buy a Mack trunk to transport it. :-)

For an excellent description of nature uses for this lens, you might check John Shaw's "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide..." (pgs. 62/63) and his "Close Ups in Nature" (pgs. 66/67). Like him, I use it with Nikon's PN-11 extension tube for closeups of flowers, bugs, etc. and it's terrific. It's also an excellent all round lens for other nature subjects, as Shaw points out.

Jim Franck

The 200/4 AIS Nikkor is an optical gem: very sharp, high contrast, all in a small and neat package. It gives really excellent results with PN-11 or PK-13 extension rings, and produces great close-ups with 3T or 4T diopters. Less well known is that it functions perfectly as the relay lens in a double-lens setup, in which a second lens is reverse-mounted in front of it. Many old bellows-mount lens heads, projection lenses, or enlarger lenses, work marvellously thus mounted onto the 200/4. You get high magnification with a very useful long working distance.

<p>

Read about the 200 mm f/4 Nikkors and 100+ other Nikkors at <a href="http://www.foto.no/nikon/index2.html">my website</a>. <p>Regards Bjxrn Rxrslett (Bjorn Rorslett)

Hi Bob, the longest lens I use right now is a 180 which is very close to the 200. It is great for landscapes and isolation of flowers and other such things. With my older equipment I had the 200 Ais and it was a great lens, very sharp and with nice "drawing" capabilities. It works excellent with extension tubes or the 3and 4T diopters, so go enjoy it!

Before I switched to AF lenses a year or so ago, the AIS 200mm f4 was a favorite. I also used it from

time to time with the Nikon TC201 teleconverter which gave a usable 400mm f8 in a very compact form. I

probably used the 200mm format more for landscape work than for fauna and flora, using it to compress

elements of a landscape, etc.