eos3 or 1v?

sjauch

no wait get the 3

no seriously; do you NEED the extra features on the 1v?

how do they both feel in your hands?

My big reason for getting the 1v is the weather sealing & more importantly the dioptric adjustment.

but everyone is different, so go pick them both up and see which one you like better.

Get the 1V.

Why not, is that extra few hundred of dollars that important in a long long run? I love the feel of the 1V, although I fully understood the similarity of EOS3 and 1V, I decided to go for the 1V (for weddings) because, well, why not, I rather pay a few hundred more for a more robust camera (and a lot of other things), and in a long run, leave me with fewer regrets (I don't have to ever think about the "what-if"s).

To be honest with you, I have both in my bag, but I find myself using the EOS3 more often. I don't know if it is because I have 2 EOS3 bodies to the 1 EOS 1V body, but the 3's seem to get the nod most often. Unless you need the advanced features of the 1V or 1V-HS, save the bucks and get a nicer lens to go with it.

The only significant differences are as follows:

97% vs 100% viewfinder (not desperately significant because slide mounts and printing ALWAYS crop the edges)

Data recording on 1V.

Dioptric adjustment on 1V.

Eye-control on 3.

Faster AF processor in 1V (33MHz vs 24MHz, otherwise same AF system)

Better build and weather sealing in 1v. 3 is similar to 1N in this regard.

EOS 1v seems more refined. Very subjective this, but when Leica owners go on about the same thing... the 1v feels like a solid, precise tool, and sounds like it too. The comparison is perhaps that of a big japanese car to a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. Both will last many many miles, but the german one just feels that bit better.

If money is an issue, then the EOS 3 offers 95% of the camera for 60% (or so) of the cost. But that last 5% is fun to have if you can afford it.

Night Owl; Check your 550EX manual for instructions on using the Canon E-TTL wireless multi-flash system. With a 550EX or ST-E2 transmitter as master and additional 550EX and/or 420EX Speedlites as slaves, you can have a mini studio flash setup.

EOS 1V also has improved evaluative metering algorithms, improved Area AF sensors, battery level icon, improved AI Focus, personal functions, improved flash algorithms, a favourite AF sensor button, better mirror control, shorter mirror blackout, improved shutter lifetime, higher flash sync speed, built in dipotric correction and can use IR film without fogging

The EOS 3 is a great camera, but the EOS 1V has a myriad of small improvements, plus the absolutely bullet proof construction and the link software. Still think they should have included ECF on 1V, it can always be turned off if you don't like it and I find it works pretty well most of the time.

The 1V is also supposedly a better body if you hang very heavy lenses off the body. The 1V and 1, 1N uses metal behind the lens mount, while the Eos 3 mounts to plastic. The shop I was at said they that if your torque the body enough with a big lens on it, you'll have to bring it in for adjustments more often with the EOS 3. If you're not going to hang heavy glass off of it, you'll probably be fine with the EOS 3.

• 4 months later...

How much of a difference you will see in evaluative metering between these bodies?

I'm into bird photography and using Nikon F5 and thinking of moving to Canon because

of digital and IS. So I'm new to Canon stuff.

I found if I have that kind of metering I can use point and shoot 99% of time.<br> Can anybody help? <br><br>

THese are my concerns.<br>

1) Does EOS3 and 1V have same metering? If not howmuch of a difference?<br>

2) Does 1V do AF at aperture f/8?<br>

3) Howmuch of a difference in metering between F5 and 1V (if anybody compared them)

No brand war please. <br>

Thanks in advance<br>

<a href="http://www.color-pictures.com/">color-pictures.com</a>