neal_charness

I just made plans for a short trip to Alaska from the 19th to 28th of

May which will include some time at Denali. My only experience there

is in July. I'd like to know what sort of conditions and wildlife

would be reasonable to expect. Weather?

Also, if anyone has the same info about the Exit Glacier area of

Kenai Fiords N. P. I'd be grateful.

Neal:

Last year Exit Glacier still had a lot of snow of the ground at the end of May. This year there is less snow, it may be gone by then, but irregardless, not much will be green. Last year the road opened on the 20th, this year I hear they hope to have it open on the 15th. Forget hiking to the Harding Ice Field unless you have snowshoes. Moose should begin giving birth during the time you are here. Keep your eyes open, there are usually a number of births along the road to the glacier. A couple years ago, a cow gave birth next to the trail to the glacier, much to the delight of many tourists. Make sure you keep your distance. Cows with calves can be very dangerous. If you look close on the south facing slopes around Exit Glacier, you will see many black bears. They are usually too high up to offer any kind of photo opp (unless you are really brave), but they are still fun to watch.

May is a perfect time of year for a boat tour to the Kenai Fjords N.P. We have our best weather, and often our calmest seas during May. The mountain goats will be giving birth on the cliffs, often down very low next to the water. There will also be plenty of whale activity by then, orcas of course, but humpbacks will be returning, and there may be a few late grays. And the trees near the ocean are green year around, so you won't have the ugly spring browness to contend with, as you will at the glacier.

One thing for sure, you will have far few tourists during that time of year. I think you will find prices are a lot cheaper on tours and accommodations during that period. Enjoy!

Howdy, Neal

Late May is excellent for Wildlife. If you stay all the way through to the 28th, you will also catch some exciting green-up activity. Starting about the 20th-21st, look for moose and caribou calves dropping, grizzlies attempting to predate on these young, and some dramatic interactions. It is one of the best times of year through until about June 10th.

Ross Geredien

former Denali Naturalist