kasigi

I just picked up this camera on e-bay. I was delighted when the box

arrived and out of it came this beautiful little camera. I'm trying

to find out it's exact model name and when it was made. The shutter

says Gundlach-Manhatten Optical company so I'm guessing the maximum

range of years is 1902-1926. I was hoping to get it a little more

exact if anybody knows. The shutter has T, B, and I. (what is I

anyway?) The lens seems to be about 16cm and has both the normal

apeture scale from 6.2->64 and the W.A. scale from 1->5.

The camera is a Premo style folding plate camera ca 1895-1920. This one of the most popular styles at the turn of the century, and many variations of it were made under the Century, American, Gundlach-Manhatten, Conley, and Rochester Optical names as well as others. Gundlach-Manhatten would have likely marketed it (if its theirs) under their Korona name. They made these up to about 1920. Based on the illustrations I have it would appear this may be a later Korona Petit or Ideal Petit ca 1910, but its hard to be sure. Many of these cameras were made in what was referred to as the "camera trust" - a cartel of manufacturers that house branded for some retailers. Sears bought the Conley company (ca 1906-7) to make cameras for themselves in order to break the "trust" If it has a Gundlach shutter it likely was made by Gundlach-Manhatten, or perhaps Rochester Optical. The shutter may not be original to the camera however. The camera has a couple of distinguishing features: (compared to the 30-40 illustrations of similar ones that I have) The front standard rails, while not unique, are somewhat uncommon, particularly with respect to the strength of the turned upper ends. Many of the similar cameras have front standards supporting the sides of the lensboards rather than riding on pins like yours. The other feature is the front standard block that rides on the rail. In your picture it appears to be a simple rectangle - it was common for these to be shaped in some fashion with fluted or chamfered corners, but many of the Koronas have the rectanglular block, and some of the Petits used the metal pin-standards. Many makers put the company/model name on the front of that block - you may see evidence of brad or pin holes if there once was a plate. Some Premo styles cameras were also made for cut film at this time. Another site worth a visit is: <A Href="http://www.fiberq.com/cam/fcam.htm">http://www.fiberq.com/cam/fcam.htm</A>. He doesn't cover leather covered folders, but can give you a lot of company history and info on the standard view cameras of the age. Nice looking camera!