grand manan archipelago

gene_goldberger

I am planning to go up to grand manan in late june. I plan on

photographing the birds on the island if anyone has any information

on the best places to photograph birds on the island and any other

information pertaining to this i would appreciate it. Iv heard good

things about the photographic opportunities there.

thanks Gene

Gene,You should contact Garry Black at black@travel-net.com

He's been running a photo workshop there for many years and can tell you where to find the birds you are searching for.He's very helpful with his information,giving it freely.He's a good instructor also.I know from experience.

I'm also planning to vist GM, but not until late August. I'll be too late for nesting puffins, but you'll be right on time. Book a trip to Machias/Seal Island in advance and be sure to tell them you would like to land. Only a very limited number of individuals each day are permitted to land and it is split evenly between the U.S. and Canada.

Now, for birding on the island....I've just received a small booklet by Brian Dalzell called "Grand Manan Birds", it lists twenty-four distinct birding areas within the archipeligo - most of them on the main island. It also lists all the birds that have ever been recorded here (300?), by species and season. I would highly recommend it - I received mine by writing to the Grand Manan museum - you can find them on the Grand Manan Tourism website.

If you have trouble locating the booklet, email me directly and I'll dig up the info.