Is it worthwhile to buy a medium format projector?

larry_carbol

I like using slide film,(Velvia), in my Bronica 6X6 S2A but I would really like to see my efforts projected rather than just viewed on a light table. It is my understanding that medium format slides are just spectacular when projected. Are there any inexpensive solutions or does one have to buy a Rollei or Hassalblad projector? Are these available used for less than several thousand dollars? I have looked in Shutterbug and other mags but there seems to be a decided lack of these available that have been previously owned.

In Europe on foto fairs there are Kiev projectors for sale. They've been produced in a very limited number, but have autofocus and halogene lamp.

Last time i saw one for sale, it was +/- 500 D.M. including a 150mm 3.5 lens. I own one, and beside some transport problems of the magazine now and than i'm very happy with it.

Absoultely! But new, they are prohibitively expensive. The answer is to go second hand.

<p>

I found a Rollei P11 in an Islington pawnshop, which, with a bit of servicing, is now in full working order. I love it!

<p>

I shoot Provia with an old Rolleiflex 2.8C, and the results are stunning when projected, huge, square, and very, very crisp. Of course, these are 6x6's. Philip Greenspun talks about a projector that manages 6X7's (unmounted) over on Photo.Net, but I have never seen one.

<p>

Go for it!

The Kiev projector sounds interesting. Is it 6x6 format or 6x7 or some other ? Does anyone know any retailers/resellers in the UK ?

<p>

Incidentally, it may be worth saying that although medium format projectors are undoubtedly expensive compared to 35mm, they're not so bad relative to the general cost of medium format equipment. The B&H web page

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

lists some MF projectors coming in at only a little over $1000 USD.

Re: Large format slide projector. I will list this item again since

it is showing up again in MFD.

<p>

C&H Sales is offering a military surplus Buhl Optical slide projector

originally designed to take slides up to 3 1/4 x 4 inches. Has

a quality 12 1/2 projection lens, cooling fan, 750 watt lamp and

manual changer. Price is $150.00 USD - complete with carrying case

and spare lamp.

<p>

C&H Sales Co.

P.O. Box 5356

Pasadena, CA 91117-9988

Phone: 213-681-4925

Fax: 818-796-4875

<p>

Hope this helps.

<p>

Marv Soloff

I bought a secondhand Rollei 66 with Zoom Lens 110-160 mm in Germany for 1000,- DM two years ago (built around 1979). The condition was as new. There were problems with the transport mechanism that were solved by replacing a rubber band (big o-ring) that connects the motor with the transport mechanism. It was kindly provided by Rollei/Braunschweig for free. This rubber has been replaced in the newer models by a more advanced belt, I think. It is a great pleasure to use this model, the autofocus works fine, the lamp can be dimmed and the zoom makes it easy to cover the whole screen. Now I can relax when watching my slides, the model I used before was a Malisix with manual slide change and without autofocus, although the image quality was o.k.. Because of its flat design the Rollei should be good to combine with a second one for fading. I think the alignment will be easier as compaired with the bulkier Kindermann projectors.

I picked up a used B&L 6x6 projector by mail order earlier this year

for $250 complete with trays. It uses a currently-available bulb,

is built of heavy sheet steel (shipping to Alaska was $$$!) and is

easy to service (I took it apart for a thorough cleaning when I got

it). It has a wired remote with forward and reverse, and the ability

to edit slides during projection. Last week I did a side-by-side

projection of 35mm and 6x6 slides from a trip to Russia -- my

conclusion is that the 6x6 projector was a wonderful investment

and I am going to shoot alot more slide film in my Rolleis.

I've been shooting slides since 1965, starting with a Kodak Instamatic (also a square format). I now shoot my slides with a Hasselblad 500CM. My wife got tired of looking at slides by bending over a light table and she asked me to get a projector (strategy can work!). I did a lot of research on the Hasselblad, Kinderman, old Leitz and Rollie. I heard a few negative comments on the Kindermans (plastic and fragile), the Hasselblad was out of my budget range and the price went up on the new Rollies while I was trying to make up my mind.

<p>

I finally bought, via the local paper, a used Rollie P11 for $550. Cameta had one advertised for around $900 when I bought mine. This thing is mid 1960s vintage and built like a tank. There are clever side panels that open up for service, although mine works fine and still had good lubrication on the change mechanism. Marflex sold me a copy of the manual and bulbs are still available for it. In fact several different types will work. I did have to reverse the bulb socket because some newer bulbs have a built-in reflector and it doesn't work when that's facing the screen ;-). Current Rollie slide magazines work in it although they are numbered backwards for the P11 (when you can find them. Both B&H and Wall Street Camera can't deliver right now.)

<p>

Now, was it worth it? Yes, yes, yes! They look so good projected that I can hardly believe it. You can walk right up to the screen and everything is still sharp.

<p>

Mounting does take some care. I've tried both the Wess and the Gepe, both with glass, and like them both. The Wess is a more positive mounting but the Gepe comes back apart easier. Glass is a good idea due to the large surface area and the P11 doesn't autofocus. But even mixing mount types, if the first slide is in focus then they all will be.

<p>

So, it's worth it and you can do it for under $1,000. If you can avoid a total manual push-in-one-side-pull-out-the-other then you might be happier, but in any case they look marvelous projected. It will inspire you to get out and take pictures instead of worrying about equipment issues ;-). Good luck

• 1 month later...

Frankly, I think you are better off buying a good scanner and scanning all your good stuff. There are currently high-end (read EXPENSIVE) flat screen TV's available that essentially mount on the wall -- beats the hech out of any slide projector (you can watch TV on it too). The price will come down someday. There are some increasingly affordable high quality LCD projectors (few thousand dollars for a good one) that project whatever digital or analog source you want on a screen. Project your slides AND your videos. The price of these is falling FAST. Finally -- there are some HIGHLY affordable (couple hundred dollars) devices which will allow your laptop to display on your TV. Or , if you use photo CDs there is a device which plays them directly on the TV. I use this method when I travel to show my stuff to friends and relatives but current TV quality (640 x 480 pixels) really stinks so it wastes the quality of the medium format slide -- not bad for 35 mm though. And HD TV is just around the corner!

<p>

What works best for me now (pending flat screen HD TV) is my high resolution computer monitor. I get an enalarged "projected" (ie projected light source vs reflected as in print) image with brilliant color. Slides look really great -- but you need a lot of RAM and a good (high res) monitor. And you can't lie back on the couch and stare at a 6' by 7' projection on the wall! But, by starting now, you can archive your slides for the future when we all will have that big flat screen high res TV screen just hanging there waiting to show off our best efforts.

• 2 months later...

I've seen two other sources for medium format projectors that have not been mentioned yet.

<p>

1. Mamiya has three medium format projectors. The web page is:

<p>

http://www.mamiya.com/Section2/Projectors/proj.html

<p>

All three can project 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x7 slides. It seems that two are made by Goetschmann. The third and least expensive is the ProCabin 67. Seems like I saw a ProCabin used in the B&H catalog for $899.

<p>

2. As you mentioned above, Hasselblad makes a 6x6 projector. The web page is:

<p>

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/projector.html

<p>

From what I remember, it's very expensive (as usual with Hasselblad).

• 2 years later...

In a day or so of looking on the web I found these manufacturers of medium to large format slide projectors:

Airequipt

American Optical

Cabin/Procabin

B&L

Goetschmann

Hasselblad

Kiev

Kindermann

Mamiya

Noblux (by Noblex, also Noblex cameras, Noblar lenses)

Rollei

TDC (Three Dimensional Co, a division of Bell and Howell)

Tower

I have had good luck finding them available on eBay, several around $35. I think my best bet is a projector such as the TDC or Tower that will do both 35mm and medium format.

• 1 year later...

Although your question was posted some time ago I'll respond:

YES!! They are, indeed spectacular when properly mounted and projected using an excellent *lens* and screen (white matte is less reflective but shows finer detail).

Current MF projectors are intended for high end, professional slide shows; they're *not* consumer grade. Consequently they're also very expensive. Keep hunting for a decent used one. Although Robert Monaghan's MF projetor page is a little dated, it's still a good reference for what's out there (especially used) and their projection quality:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/bronslideproj.html

For the individual who suggested scanning and then puting those up on a large screen TV, he obviously has never seen optically projected MF slides using a good projector *lens* and decent white matte screen. These blow away the resolution of a TV screen, hands down, no contest. Nor has he done the math for two things: cost and resolution required for 50-60 inch projection size. For the cost of the drum scans, yes *drum* scans, required to achieve the necessary resolution for a single roll of 120 shot using a 6x6 or 645, plus the computer necessary to handle the magnificently enormous file sizes, plus the magnificently enormous digital projection system to get even 40 inch horizonatl/vertical size, one could buy a pair of Rollei P66 duals, Schneider lenses for them, a dissolve system, and end up with an optical projection system that blows the TV screen away.

I use a Rollei P11 "Dual" although it's primarily designed for 6x6 slides in 7x7 mounts (also handles 35mm slides) and is *not* intended for dual format presentations (much better done with two projectors).

-- John