I find the lack of viewfinder on the camera sort of liberating. I

find the shutter to be a tad noisy, but I like 125th sync and 1/2000

top speed. Nifty little machine. I'm going out today to shoot

another roll. I hope to get back to posting photos soon. Well, so

I haven't really asked a question yet... OK, here's one. Who's

using this camera as their primary camera and what do you think of

it? :-)

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

Well, Tony, it's not my primary camera, but many days I carry nothing but my Bessa L with the 15mm lens that's "glued" to it. The 25 would be a bit closer to an all-around user. The camera itself is light weight, seems reliable enough, and is only noisy compared to a Leica or leaf shutter camera like a Rolleiflex. Next to any SLR, even one without a motor (and disregarding digital for this discission), the L is very quiet. Best of all, the meter is very accurate. Try to buy a Leica 24mm for that price! I mostly think of my L body as something that cost little more than a bayonet adapter, acts as a rear cap for the lens (more savings), meters light and transports film. Enjoy your L!

I'm finding that you have to wind it from frame to frame pretty slowly, otherwise the sprokets will slip from the film. Just happened to me, darn it. I was on shot #30, so I made it that far. I love the detents in the focus ring. At 400 ISO, I can put the lens at f/8 at 2000th in bright sun, then crank it down four stops to 125th in full shade (like in the shadows of buildings on the street) and retain my focus. Makes for quick snaps.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

I don't have the L but do shoot with both the R and R2. As an exercise to try to free up my shooting style, I decided to shoot fast from the hip (actually about the mid-chest) and just sort of intuitively project what would be in the field of view of the CV 28/3.5 I was using. I was very pleasantly surprised with some of the results. Here are three examples:

I just used this lens for a wedding (more for tight spaces, and crowd shots). I loved the notches for the preset focus distances. it allowed me to work a bit faster than I would have been tempted without. The depth of field of the 25mm focal length makes it work well. Wish I had the confidence of working without a finder.

I also have the Bessa T. It hasn't seen much use. I keep it for the cost and as a backup just in case. Maybe if I breakdown and get the Leica 21-24-28 finder I might find more use for it.

I don't have the 25, but I have the 15 and the 21, and I rarely use the viewfinder. With the 15mm there's really not much point to it....most of what you point the camera at will be in the frame, slightly less so for the 21.

<p>

The beauty of the L body is that the meter is on the outside. It makes for perfect "from the hip" shooting.

I started on the L+25mm then added the 15mm, which has had most use. It is small, light, quiet and inconspicuous. Everything in front of you is in the picture, and in focus. The pictures get better when I remember how small objects can appear are unless they are very close, and how weird the picture looks if you lean to either side. Martin.

The Bessa R and 28mm F6 Russian Orion 15 lens is used alot here with out a viewfinder; with much success. The lens of mine is sharp wide open at F6. I use the entire viewfinder; well beyond the frame lines. I like this little rig for grab shots; the lens even couples to the rangefinder.<BR><BR>This little rig was used to photograph some skaters; while I was on the ice on hockey skates; using iso 800 film; in a bright lite rink. My exposures were about 1/30 to 1/60 @F6 ; I was stunned by the quality of the shots; when not even using the viewfinder; and just using zone focusing and having fun.<BR><BR>

I was at the opening of an exhibit at a museum Saturday night. I mounted the 25mm Skopar on a leica II body and hid it in my hand. I could position my fingers to wrap around the bottom of the camera and to move the focus via the tab and depend on the click stops for correct distance. My thumb would trigger the shutter. This allowed me to keep the camera low and out of site and the lens could capture whatever I pointed at with plenty to spare. I finished two rolls standing in a crowd and nobody noticed what I was doing.

• 19 years later...