CORRECTION: Schneider 110XL DOES cover 8x10

pete_caluori

Greetings,

A few weeks ago, I posted an image that I took with a friends 110XL

clearly showing that it does not cover 8x10. Well I'm embarassed to

say that I neglected to see that my friend had a step-up ring

permanently mounted to the lens, which resulted in severe

vignetting. I noticed this after I received numerous replies from

folks indicating their 110XL's did in fact cover 8x10.

The proof is in the print and since I posted an image showing that

it did not cover, I thought it only fitting that I now include one

that shows it truly does. This is quick image of my friend in his

back yard in between rain drops. It was taken with the same 110XL,

only this time the step-up ring was removed and it was taken at

f32. Sorry for my previous, inaccurate post!

Regards, Pete<div>0051DV-12526784.jpg.9ec3737692b6d74739ddb7a9255ed2b9.jpg</div>

There was no center filter used for this shot and yes, there does not appear to be any noticable fall off. Focus was very close to infinity, if not at infinity. I should mention, that the lens I used actually covered at f22 1/3 to f22 1/2, but I shot it at f32 just to be absolutely certain.

I will try and scan the upper right corner to check sharpness, but I wasn't concerned with sharpness when I took this shot, only coverage. It was a bit windy, so the trees may not have been still during the exposure. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

Regards, Pete

Thank-you for the post. Last night I was searching the net about this very lens and the specs and opinions seemed to point to the fact that it would not. Now I can dream about this lens on an 8x10 that I don't have or a 47mm XL on a 4x5 that I do have! I love superwide angle! Anybody out there ever compare both!

Hi David,

Here are corner and center closeups, but I don't know if they'll help. This shot was taking between rain drops and it was composed and focused very quickly, with little thought given to accuracy. The goal of this excercise was purely coverage, nothing else.

Regards, Pete<div>0051YT-12541284.jpg.6f9a5d38c17ff02c3d5f02ece0605fc6.jpg</div>

Ake, the image I posted is not an accurate representation of the light fall off characteristics of this lens. To answer your question, the fall off is not significant. That's not to say there isn't some, but it's not accurately represented in the image I posted. I would not hesitate using this lens on 8x10 and plan on getting one.

Regards, Pete

Pete,

Don't get me wrong, I do not make any connection between falloff and quality. I don't really think we have any disagreement here. But to state that there is no significant falloff might lead people to think that there will be no need for center filter shooting 8x10 color transparencies with the 110XL. I'm using a 150XL on 8x10, and will not use that lens on color trannies without CF (again).

B&W on the other hand is of course quite different, falloff can be quite pleasing.

Ake