Update on: Hassy - a pain to use for "dynamic" photos?

jon_warwick

Many thanks for your feedback related to this question which I posted

a few weeks ago! I went to my local shop today, and tried a PM45

viewfinder .... yikes! what an improvement over the waist-line

finder. The PM45 finder was extremely bright and clear (combined with

a Accute D screen) ... but more importantly, in my opinion, it made

the handling of the Hasselblad vastly more natural, fast

and "dynamic". I like to photograph people (semi-posed) on my

travels, and now that I've tried it, I reckon a PM45 finder will

greatly help me to speed up focusing and improve composition to make

the photo look more dynamic. The additional weight is also minor at

only 360g.

I'm not sure how well my plain glass screen will work with a PM

finder, given the lower magnification of the PM45 versus the WLF ....

however, time to swipe the card again for the prism, and the see if

it's a problem without a split image/microprism screen.

I never had a problem focussing on the normal screen with a Hassy 45 degree finder. I got mine really cheap, too, because I discovered that nobody wants to buy metered prisms with broken meters. I used it for 20+ years that way after paying next to nothing for the damned thing.

Well, for me, using the WL finder to focus is like looking at a 24X24" print when I'm

focusing instead of an 8X10".

It's also brighter than any other finder. It makes the camera very handholdable,too.

You can hold the camera upside down and over your head for higher perspective

shots.

I think my Hassy is more dynamic without the prism.

I've got the PM45 (2.5x) and for me it's difficult to focus quickly in dim light without the microprism/split screen, even with the 150. I used to have a PM5 (3x)which was borderline ok, and a PM90 which was totally hopeless with the plain Acutematte screen. The WLF is my preferred finder but I shoot mainly landscapes. I got the prism for the occasional party I shoot with it. I also picked up a new-in-box Kiev NC2-type prism for travelling in case I do want to shoot something moving. It's light and compact compared to the PM45, higher magnification, and it was under $100.

I also picked up a cheap Kiev NC-2 prism and paired with a split image screen it makes a huge difference. I also find the new style chimney that came swith the 503 series to be better than the older one (500cm style).One of the biggest problems I have with hand holding a Hassy is the long focus throw on my 80mm C lens. It's nearly a full turn. Maybe a focus lever would help

feli

Forget the focus lever. How often do you go from one shot at close-up to another at infinity and vice-versa? If you make a habit of returning the focus to mid-point after each shot, you effectively cut the focus throw in half.

I just wanted to contribute thefact that when I bought my 501Cm, I also aquired a PME45, later I tried using someone elses Kiev prism, just out of curiosity, and I must say the PME45 seems 10 times brighter to me. Its dramatically different.

Jay, you're right about trying to leave the focus throw on the Hassy at about the mid point, but I still find it a pain in the neck. A few weeks ago I picked up a Rolleiflex 2.8F and now realize why this camera was the choice of PJ's for many years. The biggest drawback is that you can't reload it as fast as swapping a back on a Hassy. So I guess I'll just have to get a second one... ;-)

feli