using these tanks ???, and do you think it is a good way to get

started. I do not have a real drakroom lab. I will load the films in

the dark closet and then do the processing in the bathroom with

running water available there. Is this a good daylight type

developing tank to use for 4x5.... Thanks you

Ngyuen "Billy" Kok

I have one and it has a learning curve you have to work out with your own

testing. I know using HC110 I have little problems, but with D76 I do get

some uneven devloping marks in the sky and the like. I mostly work with fuji acros sheet film and I have yet to find a HC110 dilution that will work with a minus devloping. I this case I might have to tank devlop in D76. Anyway I am still chipping away at it. Also make sure you get the band that comes with it, DO NOT get it with out it.

You may also want to consider the Combi-Plan tank. I couldn't find a Nikkor tank, and I was worried about the reports of uneven development, so I got the Combi-Plan. I have had no problems with it, and it is cheaper new than what I have seen the Nikkors go for used.

I bought my Nikor tank some time ago for $50, but I wouldn�t be surprised if they haven�t fallen in price. It is important to load the tank with the emulsion side of the film toward the inside of the tank. Before I found a set of directions I loaded some film backwards and the result was uneven development and marks from the external band left on the film. It is a well built high quality piece of equipment.

I load mine in the darkroom, but a completely dark closet would be OK. It might be tricky to do it in a changing bag, but possible if you had a large bag. Once loaded the film could easily be processed in a bathroom.

Good luck,

Joe Stephenson

Joe; the tanks have fetched as much as 300 bucks on Ebay last year; with probably a mean of about 100 bucks. <br><BR>The take takes a long time to fill; about 20 to 40 seconds. If slightly tilted; the fill hole fill allow the air to escape smoothly; and fill at the quicker number. If the tank is vertical; it will burp over and over; and take along time to fill; the larger number. <BR><BR>There are two different fill cap diameters; this may cause different fill times to be quoted. <BR><BR>The starting inner id of my cap is 38mm.<BR><BR>The band mentioned surrounds the film spiral; and prevents the films ffrom backing out during development.<BR><BR>The film height is adjustable; and should be checked/adjusted before actually loading good films. With store bought films; I havent had problems loading the spiral; BUT it is more difficult to load; and I am use to laoding stainless reels. Filling the entire spiral is alot more difficult; many times I just fill 1/2 to 2/3 the slots. <BR><BR>With a full tank; there is a hell of alot of film crosssectional area; for the amount of developer volume. One is wise to see if there is enough developer for the film. ie calulate the capacity of the developer. With diluted developers; and a full tank; the developer CAN exhaust before it is thru with the development times.<BR><BR>I tend to use development times of at least 6 minutes; to make the fill time alot less part of the uncertainty.<BR><BR>With self cut films; the slight film width variations made the tank a mess to load. <BR><BR>The film should not be forced in; if it doesnt just slide in. If force in; it will hit an adjacent spiral rail; and cause scratches. Save som dud 4x5 negatives and study the loading of the spiral; this will make the real loading alot easier. <BR><BR>There are alot of widely different results obtained by DIFFERENT OWNERS of these tanks; I suspect there are some bent, damaged reels; or users who tried the affair with short development times; or reels with heights not adjusted correctly. It is a more difficult beast to learn how to use; some of us get good results with them.