Sigma EF 500 Super as master , 4320 ex as slave.

I know this is a redundant subject to the experts, but I need some

advise. I can't justify the 550ex flash price right now. I battled

between the ST-E2 and the Sigma Super 500, the Sigma won. Let me

start first by saying the controls on the Sigma are hard to figure

out and let alone remember them without the manual. (Granted I only

had it for 24 hours) I am beggining to second guess my descission.

Two reasons I did not go with the ST-E2: 1. I read that it can only

control two lights as opposed to three. (i.e. a three light set up)

Please correct me if I am wrong. 2. I could use a second flash for

spare, or for my second body. Here is my dilema, I want the Sigma to

be a master only (not firing a flash) I did the appropriate settings

(according to the manual)and it seems to fire a flash every time. I

read a thread about this same thing with the 550 ex and the guy said

eactly what I am saying, but when he got the pictures back it worked.

Someone else wrote that the flash you see is the E-TTl pre-flash.

Does anyone out there know anything about this Sigma for master use.

I mean practical hands on. I read the threads, and the manual and did

what was said. Hands on would help. Also , lets say I get the ST-E2,

and use two 420 EX as slave. Can I adjust them in a way that will

give me a main and a fill, i.e. moving the "fill" light back twice as

far? or will the E-ttl compensate and give more power to that light?

Should I just send the Sigma back and get the ST-E2? I guess having a

second flash is not as important as having a flawless

system...besides by the time I have this wedding to do I could

probably get permission to get another flash!

Thanks

Rob

The Sigma is said to be equivalent to the 550EX and compatible with the E-TTL wireless multiflash system. When the 550EX is used as master, it can be set so as to contribute to the lighting or not but will continue to fire a preflash for communication with the slave(s) and for camera metering when contributing to the lighting. The Sigma should provide the same capability, if it is truly equivalent.

Positioning of the master and slave as far as relative distance to the subject, is not critical because setting a ratio on the master will control the relative outputs of the master (if contributing) and slave(s). It may be more reliable, as well as make more sense, to set the ratio with respect to relative distances of the Speedlites (i.e., you can set 1:4 or 4:1).

It's true that a 550EX (or Sigma, in your case) can control 3 slaves (or slave groups), but even though the setting on the 550EX says ratio A:B:C, slave C is not set as a ratio to A or B, but set by the user selecting a flash exposure compensation value for C on the master.

It's also true that the ST-E2 can only control 2 slaves (A and B), you can use a third slave by setting it as an independent manual slave and setting a power level (e.g., 1/4 or 1/16) on the slave directly instead of on the master. The only caveat is that the third slave must be a 550EX (or Sigma equivalent) as the 420EX does not have a manual mode.

Since the third slave is often used as a background or hair accent light, its relative power level is usually not critical and may require some experimentation to get the exact effect you desire.

I am actually going to do what you did. I just sold my 420Ex to buy myself a SIGMA flash to be a slave to the 550EX. And one thing I'll tell you that you did the right thing (wedding and an extra flash). I did a wedding this winter and in the first shot broke the 550EX hotshoe (slip in the snow) and my backup 420EX finish the event. Some came underexpose since I am so used to the 550EX power.

I agree that the Sigma EF500 Super is not the easiest flash to operate. I find it somewhat frustrating at times, but it does work well with the 550EX or 420EX. And it is a good backup for wedding use.

One thing though, the ST-E2 will control 2 *groups* of slaves. Each group can consist of several Speedlites. You can control the relative brightness of each flash within a group by changing the distance or flash zoom position (not on the 420EX though). In reality, that's probably enough for most anything.

Bill said: "It's also true that the ST-E2 can only control 2 slaves (A and B), you can use a third slave by setting it as an independent manual slave and setting a power level (e.g., 1/4 or 1/16) on the slave directly instead of on the master. The only caveat is that the third slave must be a 550EX (or Sigma equivalent) as the 420EX does not have a manual mode."

You can NOT set the Sigma EF 500 Super in manual mode when it is an E-TTL slave!!! You can set it in M-mode from the master if the master is e.g. 550EX (not with ST-E2) but then all flashes will go in M-mode!!!

Also I was told by service that Sigma EF 500 Super is NOT compatible with 10D (whatever that means). I have found out that as a E-TTL slave my Sigma overexposes heavily but as a manual mode slave it seems to be fine. Sigh.

Vesa