Mamiya C330 S - 80/2.8 lens shutter problems

josh_wheaton

I just purchased this combo on ebay, and I noticed that the shutter

seems to only fire at one speed. Although I can't tell the

difference between 1/500 and 1/30 or so, I can tell that it doesn't

wor at speeds slower than that, except the Bulb setting, where it

stays open fine as long as I hold the shutter release.

Am I simply paranoid? (I ran a roll through and I'm having it

developped tomorrow) Is this fixable, or not worth it? (I'd rather

the 105 or 135 lens anyway, but I'd like to be reimbursed if this

lens doesn't work, as stated in the auction)

I'm new to MF, so please help me out ;)

Thanks

Hello Josh,

<P>

If the camera was advertised as good, by all means I would return the lens shutter for a partial refund.<P>

I would say that what is needed is a CLA for the shutter and maybe a new spring. Also sometimes the gears in the retard get a little rusty (thats the problem with dry lube--no rust protection), and are jamming. It would probably be between 50 and 75 dollars to repair this problem. It being the 80mm lens you could problably find a good user for the same money but then you are stuck with the current lens.

<P>

My openion as a camera repairman is that having a item repaired that you already own is always a better bet than buying another used item that has no gaurentees. I have 12 Ikoflex parts cameras because of the buy a new one when this one gives out philosphy.

<P>

Once fixed, I am sure you will realy like the C330, close ups with out an attachment, what a concept!<P>

Mark

the salesman may require you to return the entire camera, which is his right to do.. lens work will cost 100 bucks to clean and repair what you have (a guess.) plus shipping...i have an 80 and i think it is the best lens in the series becouse its fastest, and normal lens lenght. more lensis is better if your wife is strong... altho the 105 is newer and very very good maybe better, i dont know.. the 135 is great for people shots, but not as good a lens in sharpness as the 80, 105, 180, 250 and 65.. but nessesary for people shots in my idea. when dealling with cameras on ebay you have to send a lot back. its a way of doing buisiness, but its much better than trying to get rid of a defective lens locally, or finding one in a small town..... (honest) camera shops are better at telling you what your getting.. i think the mamia c330 pro with the 80 mm lens is as fine a camera that you can buy for the money.. keep hammering away, your going to be amply rewarded. and the nuts that sell non working stuff will get thiers.... good luck...dave.

I think I might try and have the seller either pay me the value of the lens and I'll give him the lens back, or have him send me the money to get the lens repaired.. I want to keep the body... it's an "S" model, and in good quality. I mainly want to do portraits, but with the built-in bellows, I can just move closer to get a better shot - for now ;) Hopefully the seller will be good about it.

So - my best option would be to send it to Mamiya to get it fixed? The glass actually has a bit of dust in it, and it seems to be the oldest 80/2.8 (if there are several?)... maybe I sholud try and get a newer one?

Thanks

Sorry for the double posting - I just got an email from the seller. He said he would let me keep the body and we could work something out for the lens if I wanted, or I could return the whole thing.

He did say in the auction that he "ran a roll of film through it and it worked fine", but he just told me he was outside and simply had it on 1/125 and didnt try the slower ones. May be a little fishy since he doesn't claim to have any experience and without a light meter, wouldn't it be hard to get randomly good shots from this? (The camera was not his, it was his late father's)

Thanks

<p>Josh,</p><p>As far as the age of the lens, all I know is the really old ones are chrome and take 40.5mm filters. The new ones are black and take much easier to find 46mm filters. The black 80/2.8 is a really nice, sharp lens and would be worth getting fixed if the seller would help you out with it. But I would hesitate to throw too much money at one of those older chrome lenses. I have the black one and love it, maybe someone with the chrome lens could tell you a little more about that one.</p>

Fishy, perhaps, but 1/125th @ f16 is the basic "sunny 16" rule exposure for ISO 100 film so he could be telling the truth. I've shot many rolls of film without a meter this way (usually because the battery died, not because I'm a hero) and the results have often been quite good.

As long as the seller has offerred to do the right thing, I don't think one should question their integrity. I personally buy and sell alot of stuff on the big auction site, and I will admit that I ocassionally sold something that I THOUGHT worked fine, and it had a problem that I didn't find. All one can do in that situation is offer the full refund, and be reasonable about partial refunds or substituting other working products. Even NEW camera dealers sometimes inadvertently sell something that's broken - and they take it back for a refund. Nothing wrong with that, provided that they are dealing in good faith. The folks to watch out for are the ones who know NOTHING about what they are selling and the folks who intentionally misrepresent something they sell, and then WON'T give the refund.