Any Brass topped chrome M6TTL

It is my understanding that the MP and the M7 have gone back to the

Brass top plate.

Are there any late model M6 TTLs other than the LHSA models with the

Brass? Is the "last M6" made with brass or zinc?

Any leads appreciated.

(I always get better images with Brass !!!)

Supposedly the last production of M6TTL's top plates were brass, but I can't recall ever seeing it verified in print from Leica themselves. Considering that Leica knew well in advance of the M7's introduction that the M6TTL would be discontinued (what, I'm supposed to believe they didn't already have the MP planned, designed and tooled-up a year ago when they were still lying to us that the M6TTL would remain in production? Just like I'm supposed to believe they didn't have the flare-free-finder ready to go when they ran the first run of M7's we're now looking at $700 to upgrade or lose it on resale) I can't figure why they would go to brass M6TTL top plates. But even if they did, only the BP models have the finish applied directly to the brass. The brass top plates are first zinc-plated for the black and silver chrome finishes. So they wear first to the white zinc layer, and unlikely beyond it. You really need to gouge them to get into the brass. Look at M4-2's and M4-P's. They had brass top plates...ever seen one with brass showing?

The very last M4-P's had the flush-mounted viewfinder glass (referred to as "M6 Windows") and also the strap-rub protectors. These were probably M6 top-plates (minus the shutter speed adjuster hole)and therefore zinc.

> they were still lying to us that the M6TTL would remain in production

Jay, do you have that on writing ?

> I'm supposed to believe they didn't have the flare-free-finder ready to go when

they ran the first run of M7's we're now looking at $700 to upgrade or lose it on

resale)

But it's still true, they were not ready.

> M4-P's had the flush-mounted viewfinder glass (referred to as "M6 Windows") and

also the strap-rub protectors

The flush window, yes, but the strap-rub protectors, I don't think so.

Lucien<div>0052gs-12582984.jpg.b9614a55c2fdffb2ac1e796ba8412189.jpg</div>

> I have an M4-P here, with strap protectors,

Steve and Jay,

Thank you, you learned me this.

> And it was made in Wetzlar, but marked Canada.

Are you sure it was not made in Portugal.

;-)

Lucien

See

[<A HREF="http://nemeng.com/leica/042b.shtml">this Leica FAQ topic</A>] (scroll

down the page after it loads).<P>

Basically there were a few M6TTLs with brass top plates, but v.few. They appear to

have been made after the M7 was introduced.

Similar thing happend when the M6 first came in and the M4-P was still in

production. For the last batch(es) of the M4-P all Leica did was use the M6 (Zn alloy)

top plate.

'For the last batch(es) of the M4-P all Leica did was use the M6 (Zn alloy) top plate.'

The top plate of the last M4-P (1986)is still quite different to the M6. It still has the small screw capped hole for the rangfinder adjustment, and is shallower as no meter is used. I think the indications are that the zinc top plate was a trial run for the M6, and it may have been introduced earlier than 1984? But, thats just an idea.