DIY cameraleather installation - Just finished it !

nom

Here she is! It was the first time that I did it.

Was it easy? > NO!

Quality was good? > Yes

Cutting was precise? > Yes (although you will doubt about it some

times)

Will I do it again? > I think sooo

Am I satisfied finally? > YES

Will it last? > Ask me in 6 months

Nice colour! I did my M6 about 2 months ago, applied black lizard leather. Looks and feels great.

Was it easy for me? The only problem I encountered was fitting the leather around the strap lugs. Other than that pretty easy to apply. Removing the gunk left by the Leica leatherette was not easy though.

See www.cameraleather.com for more info.

www.cameraleather.com is where you get the leather (or leatherette) and yes it is precut. The biggest chore is getting the old vulcanite off the body. Putting on the new precisely pre cut stuff is easy. It's pre coated with an adhesive that is sticky enough to stay on the camera until you warm it with a hair dryer for a few moments, which sets the glue and your new covering is there to stay! Check the web site for texture patterns, types of leather, colors, etc. They ship quickly and I was very happy with the way my M2 looks. Somebody asked me the other day how I managed to keep my '57 button rewind M2 so new looking, completely overlooking the dings and minor brassing!

Erm... ok... my digital picture is magenta... See? Nothing is as good as Leica, he-he! (and my eyes were too tired after an hour of trying to do the job nice)

Chris: many friends answered before me: Of course it is a leather from www.cameraleather.com The strap is an Olympus OM braided strap but I have also seen the same in white or black leather under the names of Alpa and Benser. The fact is that for me it is the BEST strap, very light, always straight and easy to fold, beautiful too.

About how easy or difficult is the installation: I have the feeling that it also depends on which leather you will buy. Mine was sooo easy to be stretched and this makes things more difficult.

The leatherette looks green enough to me.

Some time ago there was an official green-on-chrome version (not green paint or Safari) from Leica - <a href=http://www.cameraquest.com/m6jag.htm>the Jaguar XK 50</a>. Was it your inspiration, Jordan?