EF 80-200L/2.8 or 70-200L/4.0?

robert_koch1

Hello,

I found two used leses at a shop and am wondering which might be the

better bet. The first is the 80-200/2.8 which looks pretty much used. The

second is the 70-200/4.0 which has USM and is definitely lighter and

smaller that the old one. It is also in a better condition (at least from the

outside, as I have not checked the optics yet).

They both cost around 500 $ and I am not shure which one would be the

better deal? I will upgrade from a 100-300 Sigma consumer lens so both

of them will be a big step ahead.

Thanks,

Robert

If you don't need the f/2.8 speed of the 80-200mm, the newer lens is a gem. It is as sharp as Canon's big pro zooms and some of the "L" primes, without the weight.

The $500 asking price is a bit high, unless it's perfect and inlcudes a high quality multicoated UV filter. If the deal includes the Canon tripod ring, it's a bargain. Make an offer: I find dealers will drop at least 10% off the asking price of used lenses.

The other advantage of the 70-200mm f/4L is that it works with both of Canon's teleconverters, the 1.4X and the 2X, which neither the older 80-200mm zoom or consumer zooms do.

If you don't need the f2.8 max aperture then go for the new one. It's the sharpest lens Canon ever produces (it beats the 135 f2 L consulting the Canon's MTF). I own it and is an amazing lens. USM is the fastest i've tried and sharpness, contrast and plasticity of image are top class. I used to use it for sport photography like american football and i really need pro lenses. This is one of my favourites.

Mike

It is really a simple answer that only you can answer. Get the:

80-200 f/2.8

If you need the speed, this is the only way to go. There are a number of shots that this lens will be able to get that you can't get with the 70-200 f/4 -- lower light. If it is more beatup, I would definitely check the sample before purchasing it. You can also use it to throw the background more out of focus than you can with the f/4.

70-200 f/4

If the speed is not important to you, this is the lens to get. It is lighter, has USM and will take Canon teleconverters. You will be more limited in your shots due to the f/4 though.

I'm going to shot football by night with 70-200 f4.. no prob with 800iso and a good monopode. F2.8 don't help me enough in very low light situations. The DoF with F4 it's very shallow expecially at 200mm. Please try the lenses before speak about them.

Mike

Mike, perhaps that's something you should consider...

I own the 70-200 F4L and my father owns the 135 F2L. As good as the 70-200 F4L is, it is NOT as good as the 135 F2L.

The old 80-200 focuses very fast for a non-USM (pretty much on a par, as the 70-200 is not the fastest USM out there), and reasonably quietly. Optically it is very good indeed. Really the only things you lose out on with it are the teleconverter compatibility and FTM (which would be a major loss in my book on both counts, but both are personal choice things).

Really it's a question of what you want? Faster lens that is bigger and heavier or smaller, lighter lens that is a stop slower?

Mike:

I agree with Isaac. I wouldn't compare any zoom to the 135 f/2L. The 135 f/2L is one of the sharpest lenses out there.

I own the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. I know how f/2.8 and f/4 look throughout the zoom range. I still stand beside what I said previously. I have considered purchasing the 200 f/1.8 for the speed because many times f/2.8 feels too slow, but it all depends upon what you shoot.

You are correct though that you can always put in faster film or use a higher ISO rating on a digital camera, but you pay for it with grain or noise. You are not getting the same quality end results. I prefer not to ever go up to 800 with either digital or film unless that is the type of look that I am trying for. Neat Image does help for digital though.

I don't think you should critize others unless you know what you are talking about.

BTW: The 80-200 f/2.8 does not have USM.

I know what i'm talking about. I said that MTF reveals better results with the zoom and not that 70-200 f4 is better than 135 f2. MTF are only numbers and lines. In real life you can achieve better results with 135 f2... but it was only a simple example. About the 80-200... you're right, it hasn't USM motor. I've checked online but i remember something very speed when i was using it. Strange. Anyway i repeat that people must know what they're talkin' about. You need to try a lens and only AFTER speak about it. If people doens't follow this simple rule, other people who wants real info for an expensive purchase get only "writed words" that people heard from other photographers, and so on. I hope you understand what i mean and please, forgive my bad english... i'm italian. :-)

Mike

I was speaking simply about MTFs.... anyway in my opinion the sharpest lens i've ever tried in Canon world is 100mm f2.8 Macro USM... and yes ,i have tried the 135 f2. It is a wonderful piece of glass but how can you see i didn't keep it replacing with 70-200 f4 :-)

Mike

I don't have an answer for you, but I would like to read the results of the Italian magazine's tests of the entire Canon lenses that Mike Shot mentioned. Mike, do you have any information on which magazine it is and perhaps where it is available to those of us in the USA? Thanks!

• 3 years later...