Lens shades interchangeability

tony_rocha

I recently purchased the Leica 35mm ASPH black paint summicron which

comes with its dedicated black paint lens shade of the round type

with cut outs for the viewfinder. It is clipped on with four

retractable teeth. Unfortunately it keeps falling off the lens and I

find it is due to the rather slack tension of the retactable teeth.

My forearm bumping against the top of the shade is sufficient to

detach it from the lens. Apart from the fact that it now has several

dings in the paint work with the metal showing through, it is a real

nuisance, as on one occasion I wasn't even aware it had fallen off.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to increase the tension

spring? Additionally, I am contemplating using the small rectangular

shade for the pre-ASPH 35mm cron instead. Is this likely to be a

problem with the different optical design of the two lenses, any

likelihood of vignetting? Would appreciate any practical advice.

<I>My forearm bumping against the top of the shade is sufficient to detach it from the lens.</I><P>

I have three round shades (12585 and 12538) in 39mm mounts and all are very precise. The spring tension required to release the hoods is very high, and after a decade and a half, not one has ever fallen off inadvertantly. I just played with a couple based on your post, and I could not get either a 1960s or 1980s hood to come off of my lens no matter how I tugged on it. I would say that your hood is weaker than it should be if you can knock off the hood with a forearm.<P>

<I>Additionally, I am contemplating using the small rectangular shade for the pre-ASPH 35mm cron instead</I><P>

As to your second question... I do this, but backwards from what you want to do. I have for a couple of years been using the round 50mm hood on my 35mm Summicron. I have the correct square hood, but using the same hood makes things simple when I go out with the 35mm and 50mm lenses. I have seen no vignetting with the 35mm lens and 50mm hood, so I would imageing that if you put the 35mm hood on your 35mm lens, it should not be any problem. One thing... does the black paint lens have the detent to align the square hood? This hood is to be used at a specific angle, and the hood and lens "mate" via a tab and detent. Be aware also... the square hood is also a spring loaded / 4 tooth design. Like my round hoods, my square hood (12524) is very secure.

There is no alignment for the orientation of the black paint hood and it is freely rotatable. The rectangular hood fits well and its position is also fixed when mounted on the lens. I have never had any problem with lens hoods coming off in the many years of Leica usage until now.

Harvey, the spring tension is much the same as the older type 12585 round metal hood for the 60s style 50/35 crons. I have not tried using the 12585 hood with my lens, and will try this tomorrow to test whether I have the same problem. I suspect the problem is that with the black paint over the metal of the lens, there is just a smoother surface for the clamping teeth to slide off easily. However this is just my theory. I will definitely try the lens with both the rectangular hood and with the older type round metal hood. Both these extend further forward from the front of the lens as compared with the dedicated black paint hood, hence my concern about vignetting.

In my experience, the Leitz 12504 shade for the 35 Summilux and Summicron

holds much better than the Leica 12504 which tends to spin around on the

lens. One cure for this is to place a thin rubber band in the groove which

holds the claws. This gives a more positive attachment and the spinning

ceases. Since I never had a problem with the shade falling off, I cannot

address that issue.

I have the same problem. It's very irritating to have the lens hood popping off a $2000 lens. I ordered a replacement hood. The springs were even weaker on the replacement. OK, says I, and ordered the retangular hood for the standard 35mm ASPH. It fit securely. BUT IT WAS CROOKED. Well rats, says I, and ordered another retangular hood. It fit even more crooked.

<br><br>

So here I am today, reading your post, still frustrated, and have spent the cost of a replacedment hood in shipping and return shipping charges.

There's a metal ring which sits about in the middle of the inside of the hood collar. It kind of separates the collar in half, the front and the back depending on how the shade is placed on the lens--as a hood or reversed. Sometimes, I find that the ring becomes displaced and needs readjusting. If it is out of place, the teeth of the hood do not secure the rim on the lense properly. Additionally, if you have a filter on your lense, it might not allow you to secure the hood onto the lense properly. Again, the position of the metal ring might prevent a secure bit. Hope this helps.

Ron, the design of the lens hood is different from that of the older type, and there is no ring which divides the inside of the hood into two equal parts. The old hood has eight retractable teeth but the new type only has four, and does not permit it to be installed in the reversed position.

I have now tried the old round metal hood (12585) from the 60s, and the similar design plastic one (12538) from the 80's, as well as the rectangular hood for the 35mm non-black paint lens. All of them fit well on my black paint lens and do not fall off even when I strike the top of the shade with considerable force. It seems that the only shade that does not work is the dedicated black paint one. I guess my black paint shade must be one of those extremely rare leica items which are totally useless for the task it was designed for. Does this rarity qualify for a sharp rise in its value?