lenses that cover 8x10. I just bought my first view camera, an 8x10

Calumet. I am eventually looking to get (fairly sharp) lenses in wide

angle, normal, and portrait lengths. The sharpness need not be

amazing, as everything will be contact printed at least for now, and

I doubt it will ever go bigger than 16x20 or 20x24. If it does, I can

get a new lens. I would also like to get a soft portrait lens. If

anyone has any recommendations for 'timeless classics' I would really

appreciate them.

Jason: Turner-Reich triple convertibles work acceptably at their combined focal length, around 12", and are hit or miss as single cells. They can be found for $250 or less. Find one with minimal edge separation as they all seem to have it. Your price range is right on the edge of a 12" Commercial Ektar, a very good lens in a good shutter. The convertible Symmars are excellent lenses and the originals in 300 mm are in your price range, look for the higher serial numbers. (Don't count on the converted longer feature necessarily being acceptable to you. But used combined this is very good glass.) If you want something wider, there seem to be lots of 240mm f:5.6 plasmats on the market, like the 240 mm Symmar lens, and the prices on these seem depressed. Just a little room for movement. If you can push your budget to $300 you open up many other possibilities like the 305 G Claron, which is quite a nice lens.

The Turner convertable, as mentioned above, would probably fit the bill. For longer lenses, look for 16.5" - 19" dialyte process lenses. The better known ones, Artars and Ronars, will go for more than your limit, but others, such as the Kodak Ektanon, will be well within it. These will not be in shutter. For wide, there are also a number of wide angle 210mm process lenses which will cover and will be cheap, in barrel of course.

Soft portrait lens? Well, Keep an eye out for those big old wollies, I saw a 16" f/3.8 Vitax for sale somewhere (BIG!) for a about $300, so I am sure you can find cheaper. Or, get that turner and simply use one element.

If you want really wide, you can sometimes find a 159mm Wollensak wide angle (f9 or f12.5 - there are various models/versions) for under your 250.00. Also, if you are really lucky, you can find a Schneider G-Claron 210 f9 for around 250.00. But you will need to haunt the halls off ebay for both (or buy a Kowa Graphic 210mm f9 and hunt for a cheap copla #1 shutter...).

At 300mm/12" you can often find a Caltar/Calumet clone of the 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar for around that price (my Ektar cost around that 18 months ago, but the prices seem to ahve risen since then)

I'm still open to suggestions, but I'd like to especially thank everyone that has already replied to this post in such a prompt manner, you have all given great advice, especially Dave who emailed me quite a bit of useful information on various options.

Jason, early Dagors are a good choice. I recently bought a nice 9 1/2" Series III at auction for about $130. The 12" versions are often available for around $200. The 8 1/4" is said to cover 8x10 with minimal movements. I'm also using an early 13" Series 1A Velostigmat Wollensak Triple Convertible that I bought at auction for under $40. I think most early versions of "name" lenses will give you good results for contact printing B&W. Since these lenses are typically uncoated, you will probably want to increase your film development time, and maybe use a higher grade paper to improve contrast. My camera came with an old Series IV Wollensak Velostigmat in an Optimo shutter. This lens has scratches on both front and rear elements, an unidentifible "grunge" around the outside edge of the front element; and a chip at the outside edge of the rear element. I wouldn't want to use this lens on a regular basis, but, still I got one of my favorite pictures with it. Sharp, with excellent shadow detail.

I would suggest that you budget money for shutter service. I think most older shutters will need servicing. You should have the tech time the shutter speeds, and report the actual speeds to you. It's alright if they are not "right on" as long as they are consistent, and you know what they are; that way you can compensate. I recommend Frank Marshman of Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, Virginia (800/471-8133). He does work for Sally Mann, Emmett Gowin, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee. An excellent technician, and an exceptional person. Good luck.

At less than 3X enlargement you can use just about any decent lens and be pleased. As mentioned earlier, Kodak lenses are under-rated, as are Wollensak and the much-maligned Ilex brand.

The way to go (and I wish I had known or was told this) is to get yourself one good #5 shutter and fit barrel lenses to it( as in just in front of or behind the shutter, you do not have to have the shutter in the middle of the lens!). I had a couple fitted by SK Grimes (recently deceased) and fitted a couple myself through good use of a coping saw, files and time well spent. Hey, this is 19th century technology! All you have to do is get the lens proximate to the shutter. Glue and screws and 5mm Luan sub-floor material works great. Not all aspects of art are pretty you know. I find the people who do the most and often the best work use some thoroughly ugly equipment.

Read Kingslake. Be informed about design. The simple ones work well. I have a f18 Protar V that rocks! I bought it for $50. Yes I can focus just fine; you need a really dark darkcloth. and a good lupe. Don�t scrimp on these.

John