Question on Mamiya Universal body

kc_dougherty

I have been working with a Mamiya Universal and can't figure out what

the two small black tabs and even smaller chrome push buttons are on

either side of the body, about 3/4-inch from the base of the camera.

At first, I thought they may release the back for some perspective

control (which could be handy if you were using the tground glass

back so you could see the changes) but I haven't seen that capability

mentioned in any of the specifications I've been reading on the web

for these cameras. any insight you could give me would be appreciated.

The Mamiya Universal has the option of changing not only filmbacks, but types of filmback mounting systems. This is accomplished by the use of two distinctly different types of adapters, which are the M and G adapters. The black tabs and the chrome push buttons are used to remove these adapters. To get them to work, you push in on the buttons and simultaneously push down on the tabs.

The G adapter is a graflex type adapter that allows the use of film backs such as used on the Mamiya RB, and the old Singer Graflex backs. Very common backs; uncommon adapter. The M adapter is more common and used with the S shaped Mamiya backs. Also, if you want to put a Polaroid back on, you don't use either adapter as the Polaroid back mounts directly to the body.

No, they are not for perspective control. But the Universal is a great camera, albeit a little heavy, and when set up right, calibrated, and used with some of the better lenses is a top notch image producer.

KC, The answer given by Greg is of course correct. To acquire the instruction manual for your universal, and for details on the later lenses, go to "mamiya.com" and look for downloads. They give much information on questions you may not have already thought to ask.