Camera on a Raft?

george_gilbert

I've been talked into a combined hiking/4X4 Safari trip in

Canyonlands Nat. Park later this summer that will include two days

exiting the park via raft through the Cataract Canyon of the Colorado

River. I'll have my SLR (with a complete package of lenses) for the

4X4/hiking portion of the trip, but I'm not inclined to taking this

gear on a raft. I just don't know if a raft (described as a J-rig)

is compatable with SLR photography. I'd still like to have

photographs of the raft trip, so I think my options might include 1)

disposable cameras (cheap, but limited to a wide angle lens, limited

to C-41 (no slides), 2) pick up a cheap P/S camera on E-Bay (will

this be O.K. for E-6 film?), or 3) look for an old Canon 650 with

cheap kit lens. I'd do the EOS 650 option if I had any reasonable

assurance that I'd return with an undamaged camera. Can any

experienced rafters provide guidance?

Thanks,

G. Gilbert

Having been on a 2 week Alaskan rafting trip once, i'd agree not to take your SLR,

Sort of. You forgot a few good options:

1) buy (new/used) a submergeable water resistant P&S--not necessarily a cheap one.

they will often be able to be submerged up to 10-15 feet and will clearly be fine

rafting. It'll have better exposure control than a cheapo unit which you need for

shooting e-6

2) buy a better quality P&S that is weather resistat (basically, pretty splashproof). You

can get specialized plastic cases that reduce quality only slightly and make it

waterproof. Use the cases on rainy days and in whitewater; take it out when you're

just drifting along.

3) Rotz Camera used to offer a no-explanations warranty. Expensive? Yup. Worth it

for someone (like me) who wants to go odd and camera-unfriendly places with their

equipment? In a second. That lets you get a decent P&S--if it dies en route you'll get

a new one (though you run the risk of having it die at the beginning of your trip).

4) rent a fullblown UW SLR housing from a dive place (or buy one used and resell). I

believe they work above water and clearly won't let your stuff get wet--though they

are big and bulkier

Hmm. there are more options but I gotta go to sleep. good luck!

Another option is to go ahead and take the SLR, but get a good

strong watertight case for it, and leave it stowed during

fast water. There will still be photo ops while you're on

shore, and some others when you're in calm water. I've

used an army surplus ammo box lined with foam padding and

dividers to carry my FM, 24/50/105 lenses, and a tabletop tripod.

Pelican makes nice cases that will protect an SLR on a raft.

<p>

I've also done the disposable waterproof camera thing. There's

something to be said for the "no worries" aspect of

having a camera that you can leave in the bottom of

the boat and rinse off in the river when it gets dirty.

The obvious downside is that it's fixed

at daylight exposures with a wideangle lens that's of pretty bad

quality, so you'll pass up many interesting shots.

I raft a lot since I have two of them and live near several good whitewater rivers. I often take an EOS Elan IIe with lenses in a water tight box. Pelican and other waterproof cases work well, but rarely do you find something faster to open than an ammo can. (I'm padded ammo can fan, but check it out first to make sure it stays dry)

The best shots are almost always from the shore, and that's where you will want something with a longer lens. It's a rare picture taken from the boat that's really any good. There are those exceptions though, so bring along something that can take getting soaked. Even if it's a water proof disposable.

Most weather resistant cameras don't survive a real drenching, but any of the Pentax WR series will do just fine. They have class 5 weather sealing and almost everybody else uses class 3. I'm also a bad kayaker, and have had to swim to shore several times with my old 90WR tied around my neck. It always stays dry where it counts. Bring along something to wipe the lens off with between soakings.

A J-rig is a big boat. Sort of a cataraft on steroids. There are usually wet places to hang on down low in front and dry places to sit on top of the gear near the rear. For most rapids you could probably even use the SLR if you sit up there, but if you do, bring something to quickly stash it in if you see the water about to blow over your head.

Hopefully, they will stop at some of the rapids and let you shoot/watch other (smaller) boaters get creamed in the foam. Like I said, that's where the best images will be found.

The waterproof (to about 15', so far)old Nikon Action Touch point and shoot 35 mm camera is AF (not submerged however)has a fine WA lens, and worked well on several of my raft trips.I saw one on EBAy last week for $60. The SLR stayed in a a padded metal ammo can, tied to the raft in case of flips, but was super ashore and for other safe areas.

Stan