chris___10

How is the Metz 45CL-4? Does it have adequate power for wedding

work? Reliability? I will be using it on my Bronica ETRSi, it looks

like the Metz comes with its own mounting bracket, but will that give

bad shadows? Should I invest in another flash bracket (Newton,

Stroboframe)? Any help is appreciated. I need a flash setup (flash,

battery, bracket if needed, mounts, etc.) and my budget is about

$500. Thanks.

metz 45cl-4 is fine, use it all the time for wedding, i use it for hasselbad 503cx all the time, but the down thing is it ate lot of batteries, end up have to buy a turbo battery...

you should use the stroboframe to aviod the bad shadow, it a good combo, have to have it from my opinion!

but i have another question, i use a medium format camera, plus metz 45cl4 and the stroboframe, is it i am the only one feel that it is heavy? i saw lot of people use it and no complain about the weight, why?

jack ngan

jackngan@gis.net

This is turning out some good threads and info... I have been researching the Metz 45CL-4. I have read lots of responses and seen the specs - which are quite good for this series. I too am about to venture forth into a purchase. However, I have wondered if the bracket that comes with the unit is 'stout' enough. I apologize for never having the unit in my hand, but the bracket does not appear that it would support a 'heavy' MF SLR (like a Bronica) for instance.

My plan was an auxillary bracket like a Stroboframe or whatever. So, any comments from the Metz 45CL-n users on this question?

Yes, the 45 series is powerfull enough for wedding work. However, you need some external power, Metz, Quantum, Lumedyne etc. You must still use the regular batteries though even though they last much longer. The Q-flash from Quantum is very nice and not much more expensive that the Metz and uses a Turbo, or a Lumedyne cycler only (no other batteries) It is also a bit more powerfull (full 150 WS).

A new option has just appeared (especially for TTL). Lumedyne now offers a TTL 200 W.S. (up to 2400 WS) Unit. The great thing about this unit is the lack of weight that will attach to the camera bracket. Also, their stuff is about as rugged as it gets. They are also converting older manual units for about 200. Their battery and pack do weigh considerably more than a turbo, but if you use a camera bracket, as you should, the savings of weight up there is nice. By the way most pros use a bracket to get the flash head directly over the lens to avoid shadows. Both Stroboframe and Newton have a number of brackets and there are a few other manufacturers around.

Tom Loftis

Last night I decided to do surgery on my Rollei pistolgrip. I removed the Rolleifix and attached it to my Metz 45 CL-4 bracket. What a nice quick disconnect for my Rolleiflex Planar 2.8. I'm sure this is nothing new to most of you out there. BTW I don't have any problems with the "sturdiness" of the Metz bracket, it does flex ever so slightly; However,I'm still looking for an over the top of the camera bracket to avoid unwelcome shadows.

I use the Metz 45CL-4 supplied bracket with a Rollei 6008i and I think it's a bit heavy and always use two hands. Then it's OK. If you fix it to a tripod though the fix point is at the flash end and this lets the camera bounce about a lot. I use mirror lockup, wait and then cable release. Not a great solution for photographing people where you use a slower exposure for some background.

IMHO.