Canon A1 AV mode aperture incorrect

I got a Canon A1 from my Dad and there is a problem. In Av mode, the actual aperture during exposure differs from the chosen one. E.g. if I set F2.8, it will close a bit more to like F4.

This problem was worse when I first started using it, a setting of F2.8 would give me someting like F8. Then I lubricated the aperture setting mechanism by dripping some WD40 into the crack where the aperture lever sits (right side of the mount when looking into the mount). It got better, but never fully functional. I tried even more WD40 but it would not improve any longer.

Any suggestions on a fix (other than tearing apart the camera)?

Thanks a ton!

Argg...just googled a bit more on WD40, horrible thing, didn't know that. Will never apply WD40 again.

But it is already inside the camera, so I can only hope it will be fine.

Is it the camera body or the lens? In other words, do you get the problem with all lenses you fit on your A1 - have you tried swapping out lenses? It might be a lens being reluctant to stop down rather than the body? 

On 5/26/2024 at 5:16 AM, gwhitegeog said:

Is it the camera body or the lens? In other words, do you get the problem with all lenses you fit on your A1 - have you tried swapping out lenses? It might be a lens being reluctant to stop down rather than the body? 

It is the body. Other lenses on the A1 same problem. Lens on other body no problem.