Calumet cc-401

john_campanelli1

I just got a Calumet CC-401 in great shape. It has a 26 inch rail and

I am wondering if I should maybe get a smaller rail. I have an

graphic view camera case I would like to use. Does anyone know of an

alternative case for such a long rail? What are the advantages of the

longer rail?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Just as a historical footnote: because the camera was not modular, Calumet used to make three versions of this camera. The normal camera had a 16" rail, there was the long version (that you have) and also a wide angle version with a shorter rail, more flexible bellows and a recessed front standard. Perhaps you could find the 16" rail somewhere, but I suspect it would have an entire camera attached to it. Exchanging rails at that point would not make a lot of sense. :^)

<p><i>Perhaps you could find the 16" rail somewhere, but I suspect it would

have an entire camera attached to it.</i>...wouldn't that be nice? to buy a rail

and somehow get a camera too ;-))<br>

(I would like to buy a lens cap for 355 G-Claron. with fixed lens beghind it... It

won't make me any trouble to drill a hole on lens cap ;-)))<br>

(sorry Jerry, i just think that sentence is a best "dream" of the day:)</p>

My first camera was the short architecture 401. I bought a new bellows and had a longer rail made at a machine shop. When I bought the camera with a 203mm ektar it cost 250. The new bellows $200 and the rail $90. Today on eb** you could pick up a complete body with the longer rail for $100 to $150. Then you have a spare bellows, extra knobs, (they break easy) ground glass, springs etc. The other option is call MPEX or Badger or Lens and Repro, they may have a rail available off a real junker.

I bought a Calumet 540 a year ago; it came with an 18" rail. I bought a 12" rail, which is great with a 6" lens. I recently bought a 10" lens, though, so now I'm back to the longer rail. Don't forget that the true extension your camera offers may be somewhat less than the length of the rail; I can get a bit more than 1:2 with the 10" lens on my camera.