M-90 elmarit the first version

I have just got a bargain 90/2.8 in chrome the lens for M2 / m3

and have used it. It does not have a very high contrast but an even

clear field across the spectrum. I will put in pictures soon after

scanning. I would like to know opions from experienced Leica users like

Al Kaplan, Jay and others

Imran, I enjoy using the Elmarit 1st version as a smaller, lighter alternative to my Summicron Apo ASPH. Optically, it is superior to all but the current 90's. The lens was produced from 1959-1974, with the later lenses benefitting by improved coatings. My Elmarit was made in 1961 and is a wonderful picture taker. You will enjoy this lens; and yes, they are available at bargain prices.

Imran, I've used the 90 Elmarit as my main 90 for at least 25 years. A couple of years ago I was able to pick up an almost mint one at an estate sale, and sold my very beat up old one on eBay. For awhile I also had a 3 element 90 Elmar, but rarely used it. I have and use an 85mm f/2 Nikkor, which is handy in low light, but for all around use the Elmarit can't be beat. It may be a bit lower in contrast than some newer lenses. I never considered that a problem.

IMO Leica has never made a "bad" 90 or 135mm lens, optically-speaking, and the differences between them (assuming no fungus/fog/haze/wipe-marks or improper reassembly) don't really hit you over the head except the APO vs pre-APO Summicrons at f/2. My 2 favorite 90's are the current Elmarit, followed by the "fat" T-E, then the "thin" T-E and v.1 Elmarit tied for 3rd. You might ask why I rank the "fat" T-E above the thin one. This is one time where esthetics gets the better of me. I just like the look and feel of it better. I've owned both at the same time and the optical differences are there only for the nitpickers to nitpick over.

the 90mm Elamarit was the Leica lens recommended by Leitz for closeup work and an adaptor was sold to use it on the visoflex either with a focusing mount or a bellows. The 65mm Elmar was considered inferior to the 90mm Elmarit but was made availible as a Visoflex lens closer to the "standard" 50mm lens. The use of these lens for closup work had faded with time and the triumph of the SLR.

I've been using my version I 90 Elmarit for over 40 years. I've never felt the need to update to a newer version. When shooting hand-held, it is not possible to take full advantage of its sharpness. Locking the camera down on a tripod and shooting between f/5.6 and f/8 will yield a sharper picture. Since I like to shoot the Leica hand-held, and my original Elmarit is already sharper than I can take advantage of hand-held, there's probably no reason to change.

Lower contrast? Funny, I never noticed. It's a good thing I'm a member here, so I can find out what's wrong with my lenses. ;<)

Had the 90 Elmarit. Loved it. Wife lusted after it. Hers now.

Had both 90 Summicrons. Hated both.

Had a dozen elmars. They're OK.

Had a 85 Canon black. Great. Big. Ugly.

Wanted a 90 Apo-lanthar. Got good deal on Konica 90 2.8.

instead. Regretted it at first. Liked little bitty 90 3.5.

>>>>BUT<<<<!!!!!!

90 Konica BEST 90 I've EVER used. By far. Supposed to be as

good or better than current Elmarit-M (which is supposed to

be the best) AND it's shorter (a little bit) and lighter.

Seems to be made to "leica" mechanical standards (good or bad?)

Walt

I have a gorgeous black chrome Elmarit. At one point these were worth a good deal of money. I've compared K25 slides taken with it to both versions of the Nikon F/2.5 105 and it actually produces more detail than either of the Nikkors. However, it does have lower contrast than the double gauss version of the 105.

Mine is a 1969 version with original packaging and it's flawless. It sure seems that the black chrome in those days was superior to that on my later Leitz/Leica lenses.

The lens head of the 90mm Elmarit screws directly into the same focussing mount as the 65mm Elmar, as does the lens head of the 135mm Tele-Elmar. No additional adapters are required. An extension tube type adapter was available for the lens head of the 135mm (non tele)Elmar to fit this focussing mount. Another focussing mount was made that accepted the lens heads of both the 135/2.8 Elmarit and the 90/2 Summicron.