I'm hoping that I'm not perpetuating a myth (actually I hope that it

is...), but Andrew Held of the Western Mass. LF group sent out an

email today that advised that everyone's favorite camera mechanic,

Steve Grimes, has just recently suffered a "massive heart attack" and

is presently in critical care. Steve was to have made a presentation

to the group in the near future. If this, very sadly, is true, then I

wish to extend our prayers and hopes for Steve and his family that he

makes a full and rapid recovery...

Of the many names that gets tossed around on this forum, Steve's is one that is always accompanied by passionately positive comments and experiences. His devotion to his craft and his customers' satisfaction is nothing short of legendary, especially in these times of mass-produced bottom-line throw-away technology.

I'm sure the large format community is hoping for his swift and full recovery as am I.

Not to digress, I certainly hope whatever the situation is, that it improves rapidly.

I was just musing to myself the other day, after reading the posts about various camera makers that we would do well to study Mr. Grimes' approach to business. It is really "neat" to me, and impressive, that Mr. Grimes has managed to carve himself this highly specialized niche and achieve a level of excellence in a quiet, no frills, sort of way. Basically there's gravity and Mr. Grimes, they are both reliable. If there are any posts on this or any forum that have the ring of certainty, it would be those from Mr. Grimes and Mr. Richard Knoppow, who I have always suspected is an alter-ego....

On Steve's website, it appears that as his business has grown, there appear to be other employees that work with him to accomplish the ever increasing workload. In the short term it would not be good for Steve and his business to put things on hold. As a result, I would recommend contacting them to see if they can accomodate your needs. I will be doing the same shortly. I know Steve would appreciate your patronage of his business and those that he chose to assist him.

Thanks for the update Adam. Let Mr. Grimes know that our thoughts are with him, and keep us posted, if it's not too much trouble.

I'm sure a chest X-ray will reveal a complex yet elegant mechanism of old Prontor, Compound, and Ilex shutters all joined with beautifully fashioned anodized threaded rings and run by curious pneumatic bulbs in there.

Adam; I used Steves great lens spanners on a piece of survey equipment several days ago; with much success. Please wish Steve a speedy get well; and a good rebuild and recovery. He is needed by alot of us to keep our equipment tuned up; and add wisdom when we get too wound up with goofy problems with equipment. Steve we need you to get well!

Steve's shop is very much in operation---I just got an e-mail that my 10.4" Cooke in a No.5 Betax was fixed and on its way home. If they ever have to fix me up with one of those pacemaker thingys, I know where I'll send it in for a CLA! Look around and see if you have anything else that needs tweaking and send it in---the last thing Steve needs to be concerned about now is how to pay that deductibile!

Since I've kept checking back to see whether there's any news, maybe there

are others who want to know...I'll post what I know.

I spoke to (I think) the other Steve at the shop today, SKG has been moved to

another hospital. Treatment/recovery still to be determined.

Hang in there buddy,

Tracy