I think I broke my N65's AF capability.....?

rachel k.

Can someone shed some light on this problem of mine:

I think I broke my AF capability. I only use 2 lens (28-80 & 70-

300). No matter which lens I have on, my auto focus will work only

1/10 times, if that. It worked just fine for the first year or so

that I've had it. But the past 5-6 months it's been just "grinding"

when I want to use AF. The switch is on AF when I try to use auto

focus, so that isn't part of a problem. Also, I get the grinding and

the refusal-to-focus no matter where I stand or what the FL is set

at. Did I somehow break my AF capability?

The first thing to do is insert a fresh battery (batteries?) in the N65. If that doesn't magically resuscitate your little friend...

Consider going to a camera store and borrowing any AF lens for a minute at the counter to see if the same symptoms appear using that lens. They probably will.

However, if that new lens works without any problems your N65 may be okay, in which case both your lenses are damaged or defective somehow. It's a low-percentage bet, but part of the troubleshooting process since the problem requires two components (lens and body) to manifest itself. Ya gotta isolate which component has the trouble.

Odds are, the gearing for the screwdriver-like focus mechanism in the N65 is somehow stripped or out of alignment within the body... hence the grinding sound.

If the N65 is still under warranty this is only a minor hassle (you'll have to do without your N65 while Nikon repairs it).

If the camera is out of waranty, get an estimate for the repair but my hunch is you'll balk at the repair price tag and just elect to get a new camera.

I also face the same problem on my F65 and 70-300 len. When this is happen, I'll try to lightly turn the focus ring of the lens until I hear a sound "tick". After that, it can be focus again.

I don't know if this will break the lens or the camera or not, but it just work for me when this situation happen.

I also had this problem when I was shooting in manual focus and then clicked over to automatic - for the next frame the focusing just whirred and I too thought the camera was broken!! I did the same as what Kung said - just give the focus a bit of a wriggle until it clicks. All is good.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...