unknown flare source

john_s1

I need help identifying the source of flare on this photo.

Specifically, I'm referring to the upper left of the photo where

there is a "flareless" vertical strip about 2mm wide running only

half way down the chrome. There is a very distinct line where the

flare begins and ends. I've done my best to isolate the portion in

another attachment(bear with me, this is my first attempt at posting

an image). I know I should have shaded the lens better to avoid the

overall flare on the mountain peaks, but would this cause the

vertical strip? I was using velvia in a fuji quickload for the

first time. Equipment: AS Discovery and Nikkor 300M f/9. Why would

the flare stop only for that strip just before the edge? Thanks.<div>004uk6-12284684.jpg.2dbbada4c8c5aac9549016d6f3928146.jpg</div>

I'm with Donald. Looks like a shadow cast by the front rim of the lens.

If you want to reduce flare under these circumstances, then shade the rest of the lens some way. I often use my darkslide for that - I've got it in my hand anyway by the time I'm ready to release the shutter. Quickloads lack a darkslide, so you might want to use a hat or your body.

It's suspended dust in the air and the light coming over the mountain is illuminating it. Kind of like sun streaming down thru the tree in a forest. In that case it's suspended particles of water ie. thin fog. Don't sweat it, just be more aware of what's in your image frame.

Looks like SOMETHING in your camera is shading that little thin strip at the edge from flare...

Can't be at the lens end; if it were, it wouldn't be so sharp.

It must be something close to the film - part of film holder / camera back / bellows or so.

If you could identify the source of the internal flare (I think that's what you have), it would be easy to see why this strip isn't flared.

My feeling is there's something shiny(ish) in your camera or back which reflects light from outside the image area back onto the film, and this strip is somehow in the shade.

Your 300mm/f:9 has immense coverage, so there's lots of "excess" light inside the camera.

Are we talking about the same area of the photo? Assuming the rim of my lens is circular wouldn't the shaddow match that arc? Here's the specific area I'm talking about. In my experience, flare usually covers the entire portion of the frame to the edges. This flare stops just before the edges parrallel to the film's edge. Almost like a film holder problem.<div>004uqL-12288984.thumb.jpg.2b8eeb7a720cc3ab0e571d991de562a1.jpg</div>

John, I didn't see what area you were talking about at first with that scan. I had very similar streaks with a Kodak Readyload holder, off and on. They sent me a new one and so far no problems. It looks like maybe some light is getting in your holder and maybe boncing of an edge. Do you use other holders and do you see the same problem with them?

John,

I have a similar problem from time to time with some 4x5 holders. The beveled edge on many brands is quite shiny, and, when light from a particularly bright subject falls on it, it reflects a little bright line or stripe. Using a good lens hood helps, but the best solution I've found is to "knock down" the shine on the beveled edge of the holder with very fine sandpaper (400-600 grit). That said, this may or may not be your problem. It could also be something inside the camera itself. Look for possible reflective surfaces on the back and around the bellows frame, etc. If you find any, sand them down or touch them up with a bit of flat black lacquer.

Hope this helps, ;^D)

Thanks to all for the help. Looks like this is just a one time thing resulting from flare I should have prevented. Turns out the "preventable" flare was being shaded by the quickload frame which protrudes quite a bit in front of the film plane. I'm guessing that had I not allowed the flare to enter the camera, there would be no shaded strip. The good news is that the camera and back appear to be light tight. I just need to be more diligent in guarding against flare from the outset.

From the first picture, that almost looks like a processing streak, as in a water/chemical run so far down the tranny. I run into this from time to time with the lab that does my chromes. In the worst case its in the emulsion and ruins the tranny, if its a water stripe from drying, you might get away with rewashing the negative and cleaning it up. Look at the chrome under oblique light and see if the mark is there.

You can get exactly this effect if processing in a Jobo 2509N reel by loading the film emulsion outwards instead of in, the plastic retaining clip then restricts developer action where the clip is in contact with the sheet and produces a uniform strip just like your pic. I don't think this can be happening in camera, the transition is too abrupt.