Remote release for F4

justin_rebbert

I <i>think</i> I've found that the AR-3 is the mechanical cable, and the MC-12, MC-12A, and MC-12B are the electronic cables. The AR-3 is pretty short. The MC-12 series aparently functions just like the shutter-release button, meaning you can press the button on the MC-12 halfway to start the AF, and all the way for shutter release. I'm not sure how this would be useful, but what do I know.

Can anyone confirm these are the correct cables to choose from? Are there any other choices? What are the differences between the three MC-12 versions?

Thanks!

Hi Justin, I just bought an F4s too... I was intending on using the third party mechanical release I already own for it but must say I havn't tried it yet. But I will actually be taking some shorts with it tomorrow night so will gladly let you know if it does the job.

gb.

The MC-12A is the specified cord for the F4S: product # 4586NCP. The MC-10 product # 131NCP is similar except for the angle of the connector to the camera. They are both 3 meters long and will work on the F4S. The mechanical release is pretty much a standard release with the Nikon name on it. The MC-12B, according to my catalog, is only 2.6 ft long though the picture represents it as being about the same as the MC-12A. These are all three pin cables and will work with the F4S and F3. There is an adapter connector to accomodate 10 pin cameras. I use the MC-12A on my F4S. I do find that 3 meters is a bit long so I keep it in a coil most of the time.

<a href="http://www.maxwell.com.au/club/lr/product/lr12-3/remote.html">Nikon Remote Accessories</a> describes all your options.<p><p>

My advice would be to get the MC-26 adapter that adapts the 2-pin terminal of your F4 to a 10-pin terminal (such as those of the F5, D1H/X and D100 w/ MB100), then get a remote for the 10-pin terminal. <p><p>

Of course you can do the reverse, and get a remote for the 2-pin terminal now, then when you upgrade, get the MC-26 adapter so you can use the same remote for your 10-pin camera.<p><p>

I'd opt for the former, then get an ML-3 wireless remote. I have one and it is a great, albeit expensive little gadget.

<p><p>

In general, <a href="http://www.nikonlinks.com.index.html">Nikonlinks</a> will give you a starting place for these types of questions.

Actually, I believe the F4 body in and of itself has the thread, regardless of the battery pack (even the MB-20), so if you'd like to use the AR-3, you can. But, since you have the F4s (the "s" indicates that you have the MB-21 battery pack), then you have more options for a shutter release.

Rounding out the packs (in more ways than one), you could also opt for the MB-23 (to replace the MB-21, thus turning your F4s into an F4e), which gives you a higher fps rate (5.7 F4e vs 3.2 fps F4s).