Filter wants, needs, possibilities and need for advice!

raivo_vanags

Hello everybody!

<p>I�m about to buy filters for my lenses when going to US this May.

I can�t buy filters here as the supply is basically none and if you

can get anything then it costs twice as much as in US. (the same goes

for any other photo equipment). So I plan to buy some lenses and

filters there. I know I�ll have big monetary layout at one time but

that�s what I have to do to save! (Oh, it would be much easier to buy

one filter per month�lucky you:))

<p>Currently I have one 58mm diameter lens (28-105) and plan to buy

52mm diameter lens (ef 50 f/1.8 II) and probably 77mm diameter lens

(ef 17-40 f/4) and it might just happen that I get 67mm (70-200 f/4)

lens as well. Here I have it � four lenses with four different

diameter sizes!

<p>What do I want regarding to filters? First of all I think I need

UV filter for each lens (and hood of course) and it should be correct

size for each lens as UV filter will stay on the lenses if no other

filter is used. (Pls. don�t debate on the �UV filter as protector�

issue here as I think it�s worthwhile to protect lens as from dust as

physical damage. I know that it doesn�t matter if I�m a good driver

or not if there are somebody who can damage my car anyway. So I buy

insurance. I�m happy if nothing happens despite my insurance, but if

something happens�I better not take my chances.) So that�s 4 UV

filters at max.

<p>Next�yeah that�s the tricky part. I guess (but am not 100% sure) I

need 81B, polarizer, graduated neutral density and yellow filters (I

like/want to shoot in B&W) to start. So it gets pretty costly..

What�s the strategy you use/advice? Should I buy let�s say 77mm

filter and then use step up rings (btw. is it step down or step up

rings I should use?) or to buy a particular filter for particular

lens?

<p><b>Graduated neutral density filter.</b> I guess I need one in

order to avoid white sky after returning from a sunny trip. I�m just

not sure should I buy Graduated neutral density filters for

sunsets/sunrises and graduated filters for a daylight shots or what?

And what is the rate of graduation I should buy - I have read that 4x

is the way to go (NG Photography Field Guide)? One more concern I

have is that (if I�m right) with graduated ND filter you have a line

in the center of the filter. So one can basically soot only shoots of

horizon in the center of picture, right? It�s basically the last

thing you want to do (except exemptions of course).

<p><b>Circular polarizer.</b> Some write it�s even more essential

than graduated ND filter, is it? Why? Except reducing reflection from

water, cars, etc., what�s the difference between graduated and

polarizer filters? Do polarizers make a difference when not used at

90 degrees against sun?

<p><b>Yellow filter.</b> I like to shoot in B&W but I�m not shooting

so much as I haven�t acquired any filters for it and it�s quite

essential for b&w work. Would love to get some yellow/green and red

filters as well but that makes the process even more costly.

<b>81B.</b> I think it�s nice to have this one but is it essential?

<p>I�m also not particularly sure about mount systems and gels? I

have read that quite a lot people use Cokin P holder and then use

gels. What are the drawbacks, advantages there? Witch gels do you use?

<p>Does digital imaging changes anything on the use of filters (I

presume no but still want to ask)?

<p>And of course I can�t skip the bloody question on the producers of

filters. There are so many views out there!! I guess I�ll skip B&W. I

have chosen to decide between Hoya MC, SMC and Heliopan. Heliopan

doesn�t get mention a lot but to some opinions as good as B&W. How do

you compare Heliopans vs. Hoya? What about Pentax filters? Haven�t

read about them much or looked at their prices. I have also read that

it�s more important to have a good quality on large diameter filters

and not so vital on small ones, is it? So e.g. I guess it�s no use to

pay $10 more for Hoya SMC 58mm UV over Hoya MC (not sure about extra

$6 for Heliopan over Hoya MC?) but what about $6 difference between

77mm UV Hoya MC and Hoya SMC? Or Hoya 52mm Yellow K2 Multi Coated

Glass Filter vs. Heliopan 52mm Medium Yellow (#8) Filter both

costing $19.95??

<p>And one more thing � what is a good or bad step-up ring?

<p>Best,

Might be worth picking up a polarizer. If you're shooting color negative film there's not much else you really need. A medium yellow is nice for B&W. Truth is I have dozens of filters I've bought over the past 40 years and probably haven't used even one in the past five years. Your money may be better spent on film!

I'll go along with the multicoated circular polarizer as a first choice. If you plan to photograph in the Amercan SW (canyons and mesas) consider an 81B warming filter, for more dramatic vistas and sunsets. (I wouldn't use an enhancing filter as it tends to give odd colorations.) A neutral grad is better as a larger rectangular (P-size) filter which can be handheld in front of the lens and positioned for the desired effect. I think a two step grad is about right for most applications. I like to use some protection on my lenses, but prefer a Skylight (very slightly warming) filter to a UV filter.

Hoya are fine, and the multi-coated ones aren't worth the extra money over single-coated. The filters I *use* are UV for lens protection, polariser, red, graduated ND and yellow. The yellow has no discernible effect on b/w pictures - I just use it for Ektachrome infra-red!

Hoya screw-in filters are MUCH better optical quality than Cokin, but ND filters really have to be square like Cokin, so you can adjust their position. You'll need the "P" size, not the cheaper "A".

81B is very powerful on slide film and I don't like it much. Grey sky actually goes brown! I've given up using colour balance filters as I only really shoot neg film these days.

Let's see. I have a UV protector for all of my lenses. Then I have a Circular Polarizer for each lens diameter. I also have a Warming Filter in each size.

Specifically for Black and White, I have a yellow filter, which doesn't do too much; but it does add to the overll contrast of a scene, as well giving some darkening of the sky (such that your sky won't come out white). I, mostly, use a Red Filter for B&W, though I think I'd prefer an Orange Filter. If I had to choose one out of these three, I'd pick the Orange Filter.

In Order, here are the filters I would by:

1) UV Skylight/Protector Filter (they're cheap and protect your lenses!)

2) Circular Polarizer

3) Red/Orange Filter for B&W

4) Neutral Density Filter (graduated if you are taking lots of landscapes)

5) Warming Filter

6) Blue Filter for shooting in Tungsten light.

As for the different manufacturers...it all depends on who you like and who you trust. I've used both Tiffen and Hoya filters. I like the Tiffen filters because they are washable. I disliked the Hoya SMC filters because I swear the coatings streaked, and I was afraid to clean them. The Hoya MC filters might be a better bet for that.

You can get a Tiffen Introductory Kit in various sizes that include a UV Protector, a Circular Polarizer and a Warming filter. I'd probably get these, and then some specialty filters for those lenses that I used the most. (Personally, I use a 50/1.8 and a 70-200/4 about 95% of the time, and thus almost all of my filters are either 67 or 52mm,)

The rest of the filters, are nice for their effects, but I don't consider them a necessity by any means.

echo roger's reply. hoya HMC are excellent filters, but pricey. if you believe you can avoid the glare, you can save some significant money by getting the cokin P series filters (do not get the A series, as some your lenses are too large for it). cokin filters (as well as those more expensive filters that use the cokin system) will allow you to use just one filter across a range of lenses, only requiring you to buy an adapter ring, one per lens. again, i would recommend b&h. i have purchased over $1000 of equipment from them across 13 orders and have never once been disappointed.

Like Mr. Kaplan, I've bought a lot of filters, but haven't used one for many years. Of course, the only way to find out if you will enjoy using filters or if they will help you get the images you want is to try them for yourself. Given the rather unusual circumstances under which you must buy, I would suggest getting a full range of filters for just one lens, maybe your current 28-105 or the anticipated 50mm. Either of these will be the most generally useful and have filter sizes that keep the prices moderate. Experiment to your heart's content, figure out which filters would be useful for the types of pictures you're likely to take with your other lenses, and thus make more informed choices on a future spending spree.

By the way, if I were still using black and white film for landscapes (rather than for street photography, documentary work, available-light portraiture, etc.), it would not have been several years since having a filter on my lenses. I found a medium yellow to render gray values fairly naturally, and I also liked a yellow-green for outdoor portraiture and helping to differentiate tonal values in foliage. Orange had too strong an effect for my taste, but tastes differ.

Thanks for so many answers!

<p>Seems a good idea to try a full set of <i>want-filters</i> for one lens and then see what I need and really use.

<p>So I guess step up rings are not such a good idea if you consider that you are limited to use lens hood�

<p>John � I�m not quite sure I understood your first sentence of the second passage. So you would put the lens for b&w landscape photography but don�t find it necessary for street/documentary and portraiture?

<p>Cokin P system would solve the problem of the placement of graduated ND screw-in filters. But I haven�t heard a good word about Cokins filters itself. Which ones do you use? And do you prefer gel or glass and why?

<p>Best,

• 1 month later...
glass ND grad filters, though more expensive than gel or resin filters, typically have a 'cleaner' or more neutral shading. i've not read of or spoken with many professionals who use resin ND grads.<br><br>get the hoya SMC for the extra $6. the super-multicoated filters really do make a difference with the quality of glare resistance. think of how much you'll spend on the filter versus how much you'd hate to be stuck with one that just isn't as good. if you'll use it often, get the better one. for your b&w shooting, the cokin p series resin filters should be fine -- i've not noted any distortion of the image, and since it's b&w you won't notice the color if it's off just a bit... the cokin yellow, orange and red filters are inexpensive and work well. i would recommend staying away from the special effects filters.