Exchange a 28 or a 50 for a 35?

C R Utra

I am an amateur ft. and usually I shoot people and landscape. Having

a 28 Elmarit (Canadian) and a 50 Summicron (last version), I would

like to go for a 35 cron for general purpose and not to have to

change lens several times. Which one should I exchange for the 35?

Once I added a 28 to my stable (35, 50, 90), I found that all I

really used was the 28 and 50. It's a great combination for me.

A 35 would be good as your only lens, but if you have two, I'd say

the 28/50 is perfect. When I shoot, I think "people" or "places"?

50 for "people", and 28 for "places". Of couse there is overlap for

sure. The 35 feels more like a "places" lens than a "people"

lens to me. So, if you set on the change, I'd sell the 28 and get

the 35, keeping the 50. But be forwarned, you may miss the

wider view of the 28.

My $.02 US --

I'm in exactly the same situation, having unwisely sold a 35mm pre-ASPH 'cron, to buy various photo goodies, one of which being a 28mm Hexanon.

That leaves me with a 50mm Summicron, and a 28mm Konica, and 90% of the pictures I've shot in the past I really liked were with a 35mm.

The 50mm is just a great lens at a great price, so I wouldn't sell that, but I empathize with the constant lens changes, believe me. I'm very sorry I bought a 28mm -- it's just wide enough to be annoying with a .72 finder.

Regardless of one's socio-economic status, I think it's generally evident that swapping/buying/selling lenses for film cameras in the ~$1000 range, requires careful thought.

Carlos, having the two lenses at your disposal will enable you to be more versatile than I think you could be with only one lens. I think you should keep both If you really hate changing lenses, why not get a second body?

The 35mm lens was made for the .72 mag finder. Sell the 28 and buy, second-hand,a summicron 35mm ASPH. You can find one for <$900. I believe the 35mm summicron asph is the best value in Leica glass.

PS - Its a sin to sell a summicron 50mm.

Carlos - I'm somewhat of a contrarian. I believe that the 50mm is the ideal lens for a 35mm camera - - regardless of make. It's a "natural" lens. When you photograph people at close range, the noses aren't fat and the eyes strangely too far apart. "Scenery" and other photographs have a natural look. The 50mm "sees" what your eyes do when viewing what you want to shoot. Yes, the 35mm is a superb lens, and it gives you increased DOF - - - but, that isn't what your eye sees "straight on." Just take that 50mm and shoot. Get closer. Back up. Change location. A 50mm will make you photograph people, places and scenery in a realistic manner.

I'm with Jack and Marc. I usually tell those who ask to leave one of them at home, if you have 2, and don't start with the other one until you know exactly what the one can do and exactly why you want the other. Otherwise you'll be constantly thinking: should I change lenses now? ... and you'll miss some shots.

Keep the 28 and the 50. There will be a lot of times when you want them. Save your money and get the 35 when you can. Any of the Leica 35s are good and all have their fans. I've owned the 1st version 8 element summicron and it was a beautiful, special lens. I had the 4th version summicron briefly and learned what makes people rave about it. I got a summilux aspheric and it is fantastic. I traded the 4th version for the the aspheric summicron and it gets carried to work on an M6 in my pocket and probably used the most of any my M lenses. But when i take out my elmarit or 50 cron I wonder why I don't use them more. They all make unique pictures. Get any of the 35 crons; the second and third versions get less respect so they are less expensive used and they are very nice. Don't sell something you will miss sooner or later. Build up your Leica system over time and take pictures with what you have. Good luck.