Case for Horseman LE

dr5 examples

I'm looking for some suggestions for a new case. I have a Horseman LE and I've been using a Lowepro stealth backpack to carry it, the bellows, 5 film holders, darkcloth, two lenses, and a light meter. I'm pretty well maxed out but I'd like to add another lens, a bag bellows, and a polaroid film holder and the film for it. I don't think it would be too tough if I could find a case that takes advantage of the Horseman folding flat as opposed to the bulky and heavy hanging type of case. I can still use the backpack for hiking, but I'd like a case for those times I want to bring my full kit. Any ideas?

Isaac

I have the LE and I'm about to go to supplier in Seattle that sells dense foam and can lazer cut it to specification. So I'm making a pattern to guide the cuts. I'm sure there are other places that can do this. There will also be enough room for other items. Horseman does make an attache style case for the LE. I've seen a couple of used ones around but they looked ugly.

Hi Isaac - I bought my Horseman LX 4x5 camera kit second-hand in a large aluminium case with inside base dimensions of 21x17x5 inches. It had cutout foam for the camera (laid flat with standards parallel to rail) and all accessories (normal and bag bellows, 3 lenses, binocular reflex viewer, straight bellows focussing hood, 6x7 roll film holder, 2 polaroid backs and several film holders. The lid was lined with foam with the raised 'points'.

I like to photograph in National Parks and have been using a modified Berghaus Silhouette 65 litre backpack (around $AUD130.00), which has a very good harness and supports the weight well. I took my LF kit (a Horseman LX 4x5) to a plastic foam supplier who cut some thick closed cell foam while I waited. The main compartment measures about 24x16x7 inches and I had a 2 inch thick foam base (no cutouts) for the camera to sit flat on with standards parallel to monorail. I normally carry 2 or 3 lenses - one mounted on each standard, with ground glass assembly on the back standard. A piece of softer foam with the conical "points" (same as used in the aluminium case) is sandwiched over the camera assembly, then the folded darkcloth and the cover is zipped closed over that.

There is a smaller compartment on top of this, about 17x11x3 inches which has another 2 inch thick foam with cutouts for accessories - bellows focussing hood and binocular viewer, loupe, extra lens, bag bellows or film holders (if I don't carry them in a separate bag). One of the internal zippered pockets holds my Horseman 6x7 back and 120 film. It is a bit heavy (around 12kg) on longer hikes from the car and I may plan to use a golf buggy to carry it plus Manfrotto 075 tripod.

The guy who cut the foam put a large rectangular piece in the lower base of the pack which holds monorail assembly about 6 inches from the base - this is currently dead space which could be used for extra film holders and polaroid back and film. It would need an extra zip machined in for access to this space without removing the camera.

You could fit your extended kit into a similar sized bag, or put the same type of foam into a larger aluminium case (similar to my original case) and carry everything you could possibly want. As far as foam goes, use the (grey coloured) closed cell foam, not mattress foam, as it is a lot stiffer, hard wearing and doesn't disintegrate (and more expensive, of course).

BTW, I had heard of the Stealth pack you use from another posting and it looks like a good, compact one for travelling light weight - more compact than mine :) - Oh, and I just love using the Horseman - I don't think I could change to using a field camera, except for the weight. Cheers - Tony