filter is vingetting

pieter_helms

I can think of two solutions. 1) a thin profile polarizer, 2) a step up ring to a larger filter size coupled with a new polarizer in the larger size. Either way you will need a new polarizer.

Unless, of course, there is another filter already on the lens and you're staking filters. Then just remove the other filter.

I find this little note on this website:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimage7i/page5.asp

49mm Circular Polarizing Filter I & II *

* At wide angles may vignette

Options- check if thinner filters are available. Don't stack filters. The step-up ring and larger filter might work- but if the problem starts that early on (at 50mm equivalent), the step-up ring itself may vignette, too.

fyi to my disappointment, i found that a 17mm lens with a 67mm ring still will still vignette with a 67->72mm step-up ring and a regular-height polarizer. if you plan to try the step-up route, be sure you overestimate or, as the previous poster suggested, use a low-profile filter designed for wide-angle lenses. also beware stacking more filters on there than are absolutely necessary. i have improved the quality of my shots and avoided some vignetting headaches by not using UV filters unless necessary.