Does the 24-85 ED G lens work on a N90S?

patricks

This topic has been discussed many times recently. The N90s (and the older N90) can drive AF-S lenses to AF, but they lack to sub-command dial to control the aperture on G lenses. Therefore the A and M modes don't work. Lacking A is not a big deal since the N90 has flex program so that the difference among A, P and S is small. However, you cannot control exposure completely manually using the M mode.

The objective fact is that N90s Supports all function, and therefore "works", with G lenses in P and S mode. Whether this conforms to someone's private notion of what constitutes "working" is besides the issue.

If you are content using either shutter priority mode or the various program modes, a G lens and an N90s will work together.

If you prefer aperture priority or full manual exposure, the combination (G lens and N90s) will NOT work.

While I agree that you can get by with shutter priority mode or one of the program modes in many (if not most) shooting situations, the combination of the N90s and a G lens is a disaster when working with a studio flash system. This is true because you need to operate in manual exposure mode when shooting with studio flash.

Vernon

I occasionally use 70-300G with N90s when weight is an issue. Being an aperture priority loyalist for years I was worried at first but shooting in program mode and using the main dial for shifting the program always saved the day for me. On the other hand, when you need complete manual (on tripod probably), it would be nightmarish to get the right combination in S or P mode via exposure compensation.