pop out from the background more. What do you guys think? Would it

work? Is there too much of a delay with Wireless sync for

sports/action? Another thing is making sure that the flash wouldn't

drop due to vibrations from say a dunk or a last second shot from

midcourt. Suggestions? Comments? Again, the season is over so I

may not be able to test this out, its just sort of an idea I've been

playing with in my head...anyone with expirience with this sort of

setup? Care to post examples? Thanks in advance

I'd say give it a test run using some volunteers instead of waiting for a game. I have the 550EX and 2 420EXs, which I purchased for the slave capability. However, after a few instances where the slaves failed to fire due to line of site problems my 420s are going on the block at eBay. IMHO, moving objects or objects in front of each other cause too missed shots with the setup you describe, but give it a try to see if you have better luck.

I've converted to Quantum T2s and Pocket Wizards for the slaves and the 550 will stay on my camera. Radio slaves provide better distance, more channels to avoid confusion with other shooters, don't have sensitivity to lighting conditions, and aren't confused by other flashes.

Best of luck!

<P>I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of rig, (I have a single 550EX at the moment) but I was working a hoops game with a fellow PJ (he was shooting Nikon, but the example works) He had three speedlights, 1 on camera and the other two on clamps on the edge of the bleachers (something like this)</P>

<PRE>

(photog)

(o) (o)

</PRE>

<P>He was setup under the hoop with a 50mm prime, the two remotes were about 25' off of him mounted about 10' off the floor pointing inwards at him. </P>

<P>

I am not sure on the power of 420 vs the 550, I would look at a setup with three 550EX's or maybe 540s. My only experience with a 420 was a rental that went wrong and caused me to purchase the 550. The gist was it was WOEFULLY underpowered for what I was doing (Prep football under crummy highschool lights). You can rent the 550s for $15-20/day around the SF area, and Friday-Monday is one day.</P>

<P>I would try renting two 540s or 550s and the clamps then test it out. The shots my cohort got were very nicely lit from all sides. I think you would need two evenly powered speedlights to pull it off as I saw it.</P>

<P>I would kind of stay away from mounting stuff on the baskets, the risks to the equipment and the kids are a bit too high, and the refs have a way of getting upset with equipment in the field of play.</P>

<P>He had no problems with delay (once he got everything synched and talking correctly) nor should you, this system will work like it was wired if it is lined up correctly, otherwise it won't fire, it will never fire late (there should be no "propagation delay" as the principle is similar to a remote control in your living room)</P>

gil